1962 Lock Cylinder Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

nickspod

1962 Lock Cylinder Question

Post by nickspod »

Hello From the UK.

I am having an issue with my 62 hardtop as I attempt to repair a passenger door lock.

Currently the cylinder moves around a lot and is not flush with the door, the key will not lock the door, nor will the pin from inside the vehicle.

I have removed the door panel, and can access the cylinder with my hand inside the door.

The cylinder retainer is loose, I can move it around a lot and get it into position, but it's not attached to anything. Should it be attached to the door panel so it's secure? Shop manual isn't helping here.

Also, as I manipulate the link rods, both the one from the cylinder and the one it joins to the door pin, the door doesn't lock and the pin doesn't depress.

I am thinking this could be due to the lock assembly itself, but would appreciate your help before I take it apart.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
ABQTBird

Re: 1962 Lock Cylinder Question

Post by ABQTBird »

The cylinder retainer is loose, I can move it around a lot and get it into position, but it's not attached to anything. Should it be attached to the door panel so it's secure? Shop manual isn't helping here.
The lock cylinder is held in place with the clips shown here. These clips are usually pretty hard to get in and out. The door panel has nothing to do with them. I suspect that yours is either not engaged completely, or someone may have bashed it with a hammer in frustration to flatten it to get it in easier. Look at the lock cylinder on the right. You can see the lever has free movement to allow you to lock and unlock the door from interior door lock knob.

Can you see up there with a flashlight? Use a mirror if needed. IMHO, I would take it apart to see what is going on. First disengage the rod retainer clip which holds the rod into the lock cylinder and then remove the suspect cylinder retainer clip and inspect the cylinder and everything else. It really isn't that difficult of a job. The hardest part you have already done: taking the door panel off.

Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
nickspod

Post by nickspod »

Thankyou very much for your help, I will give it a try asap.
nickspod

Post by nickspod »

Cylinder is dead, once disconnected the mechanism works.

New one required.

Thanks again for your help.
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Is that lever on the cylinder locked up? When you get the new one, you can take it to a locksmith and have the tumblers refitted to match your existing key so you don't have multiple keys. Your existing key needs to be in pretty good shape though.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
ricklove

Post by ricklove »

ABQTBird wrote: Sat May 30, 2015 2:44 pm
The lock cylinder is held in place with the clips shown here. These clips are usually pretty hard to get in and out. The door panel has nothing to do with them. I suspect that yours is either not engaged completely, or someone may have bashed it with a hammer in frustration to flatten it to get it in easier. Look at the lock cylinder on the right. You can see the lever has free movement to allow you to lock and unlock the door from interior door lock knob.

Can you see up there with a flashlight? Use a mirror if needed. IMHO, I would take it apart to see what is going on. First disengage the rod retainer clip which holds the rod into the lock cylinder and then remove the suspect cylinder retainer clip and inspect the cylinder and everything else. It really isn't that difficult of a job. The hardest part you have already done: taking the door panel off.

How do I remove the rod retainer clip? The existing lock cylinder retaining clip will not move forward enough to disengage from the cylinder base. Thanks!