1962 Roadster

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Jay

Post by Jay »

Back in 1970 I worked a summer at a Datsun dealership and used to install those trim pieces on brand new 240Zs. So, I can tell you from direct experience that the high school kid who was trusted to drill mounting holes in new cars had about 30 minutes of training and no idea what he was doing. Lot's of "extra holes" in those cars. And I think the dealers just bought the strips in bulk (we cut them down in the shop), so I doubt they all had the same supplier).

Reminds me that the Datsun dealer also used to talk people into changing to steel wheels each winter to save their mags from the Connecticut road salt (people put snow tires on these things, if you can believe that)...and then would sell them back the mags that they had actually bought and paid for with the new car (they were shipped on steel wheels, the mags were a dealer add but the customers didn't know that).

I would also put my SR at a 3 (maybe 2 1/2 when its being nice), but thanks for the compliment.

Jim what did you get at BJ for your SR if I may ask? There is another one going across on the Thursday of BJ week this year, but I will be on a plane to Dubai then so I will have to check back on it from the web (lot 762).
Jay Murray
Gilbert, Arizona

1962 Sports Roadster 2Y89Z151598
2013 Mustang Boss 302 (SBY)
1984 380SL
1989 Harley - heavily customized, several times...
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdatash ... mber=24861
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Back in 1970 I worked a summer at a Datsun dealership and used to install those trim pieces on brand new 240Zs. So, I can tell you from direct experience that the high school kid who was trusted to drill mounting holes in new cars had about 30 minutes of training and no idea what he was doing. Lot's of "extra holes" in those cars. And I think the dealers just bought the strips in bulk (we cut them down in the shop), so I doubt they all had the same supplier).

Reminds me that the Datsun dealer also used to talk people into changing to steel wheels each winter to save their mags from the Connecticut road salt (people put snow tires on these things, if you can believe that)...and then would sell them back the mags that they had actually bought and paid for with the new car (they were shipped on steel wheels, the mags were a dealer add but the customers didn't know that).

I would also put my SR at a 3 (maybe 2 1/2 when its being nice), but thanks for the compliment.

Jim what did you get at BJ for your SR if I may ask? There is another one going across on the Thursday of BJ week this year, but I will be on a plane to Dubai then so I will have to check back on it from the web (lot 762).
Jay, that wasn't my SR, just one that I took some photos of when I was attending the auctions in 2011. It went for 55K, which seemed a little high considering the condition and no AC., but encouraging nonetheless. Prices have generally been slowly creeping up since the dog days of 2008-09, so this sale may have been an indicator of better days to come as far as valuing our cars. Here's the link to that car:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicat ... .1&aid=403

The '62 SR that you reference for the 2014 sale is another red/black car and I'll try to examine it closely when I'm there. The odd thing is that the engine compartment photo shows an AC set-up, but the interior dash photo doesn't show an AC grill. I suspect the engine photo is not of this car. This one doesn't have the accessory side molding, but I'm finding that I like the car better with it installed. Good thing, because my project car has it.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicat ... 62&aid=525
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Jay

Post by Jay »

The VIN on the B-J car this year is pretty close to mine. I tried to look this one up in the registry, but just found out that it is no longer available for browsing.

You're right about the AC - I didn't notice that before. Can't be the same car, so you have to wonder whether it's right car/wrong engine or right engine/wrong car...
Jay Murray
Gilbert, Arizona

1984 380SL
eb88

Post by eb88 »

By the way. Nice!:

Great start to my first day back at work to find this on my desk.
VTCI #12029

'55
'62 Sports Roadster
'63 Sports Roadster
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Congratulations Jim! :cool:

If ever a car deserved a Scoop cover (actually more like the whole issue) yours is it. =D>
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Ian M Greer

Post by Ian M Greer »

Very nice Jim , I look forward to reading it , regards Ian
1963 M Landau Caspian Blue (Remember Not All Birds Fly South)
Member #-12090
Jay

Post by Jay »

I made a day of walking around Barrett-Jackson yesterday and had no luck locating the 62 SR that they have listed to hit the block on Thursday (#762). Looked like a number of people had shipments delayed due to east coast weather, but I don't know if that applies here.

If I ever win $300 million in the lottery, I am just going to show up and buy everything at this show. Then I'll just need a garage the size of Westwoods.

::?
Jay Murray
Gilbert, Arizona

1984 380SL