Hood latch stuck on my '63

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

63flip

Hood latch stuck on my '63

Post by 63flip »

I was replacing all of the rubber hood bumpers on my '63 the other and closed the hood. Obviously I have one out of adjustment because I can't get the lock to release the pin on the driver side corner. Passenger side releases just fine. I've tried everything I can think of to get this lock to release with no luck. Can anyone here help? Thanks.
Karl

Re: Hood latch stuck on my '63

Post by Karl »

Try having another person push down on the corner of the hood whist another person tries the release catch.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
63flip

Post by 63flip »

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that and it didn't work. Maybe we didn't have enough pressure on it? I tried a set of vice grips on the rod that pulls the latch back too. You can't get to it by removing the head light bucket. Tried that too. It doesnt look like there's any way to get to at all. Right now it's at a shop and they spent 3 hours trying to get it open and couldn't either. These guys are trusted and familiar with old cars. He told me it's probably really going to take some serious downward pressure to get it open. The worry is now damaging the hood to get it open. I was hoping there might be another solution but he said when those cone shaped latches get really jammed up that's about the only way.
63flip

Post by 63flip »

Success! I literally had to sit on the corner of the hood to put enough pressure on it to release the latch.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

There is a vertical bar with a notch in it were you can stick a very long screw driver you can push in to lease the entire front hood.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

The release lever on my '62 is very hard to pull (takes two hands to get it to release). The problem for you is that the release cable is not being pulled far enough? A little PB Master sprayed into the cable housing (at both ends) might help? And you might be able to adjust the position of the latch at the corner? Of course, the counter-measure that ICON mentions ALWAYS WORKS.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N