61 Convertible Deck/Flip Lid Gearbox Housing

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

GeoffInCarlsbad

61 Convertible Deck/Flip Lid Gearbox Housing

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

Broken Gearbox Housing
Broken Gearbox Housing
Broken Gearbox Housing
Broken Gearbox Housing
Hi Folks:

The gearbox housing on the deck/flip lid motor drive broke. You can see it in the pictures above. In order to take off the old housing, I had to remove the entire assembly, and remove it from the trunk lid. Easy to do, the assembly is held on by 3 1/2" bolts. First I did remove the deck lid by detaching it from the swing arms used to raise/lower the deck lid. Again, easy removing the 4 7/16" nut/bolt combination. Just had to have a friend help me hold up the deck lid and help me remove it so it didn't crash into the trunk.

All good, 20 minute just. Now the conundrum:

As you can see from the second set of pics, there is the gear inside the gearbox housing, but I don't see how to remove the axel from the housing! I though I would find a clip holding it in place on the outside of the gearbox, but nope, I don't see anything. The axel is welded to the swing-arm, so I am unsure how to get that out of there. Does anyone have any experience or magic wand with this?

Thanks,

~g
Attachments
how to I get that gear out of there?
how to I get that gear out of there?
0109f17c4d7725dbc0ab7c10fe49875f4896b01b44_00001.jpg
018c70179547f56bef0cfae7f6963eb7c9d92aed3e.jpg
01c1c5da9db015e34e4034e3b5b1715959acd02572.jpg
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?
jdrax

Re: 61 Convertible Deck/Flip Lid Gearbox Housing

Post by jdrax »

the shaft is just pressed in there
sometimes you can just tap it out and sometimes you need to get creative and do some blocking and wedging to hold the gear and gear housing while you pound on the shaft.......... USE A BRASS PUNCH.... do not mushroom over the end of the shaft
I have rebuilt lots of these and only once have I not been able to get the shaft out. I have already had to make a new shaft and arm due to them being messed up beyond repair but that is the exception.
new housings and new gears are available If you need more help let us know
GeoffInCarlsbad

Ok, great. I was thinking that, but want to make sure: the shaft is not attached to the gear, and therefore can be pressed out. I have a press, so no need to knock on it and mushrooming the end of the shaft.

Right? Shaft not attached to gear?
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
jdrax

Post by jdrax »

correct
also when you get it apart, inspect the shaft. It has 2 flats on it. you need to make sure the edges of the flats are not sort of mushroomed
if they are bad I braze the corners and then file the welds so the new gear fits tight on the shaft
GeoffInCarlsbad

jdrax wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:32 am correct
also when you get it apart, inspect the shaft. It has 2 flats on it. you need to make sure the edges of the flats are not sort of mushroomed
if they are bad I braze the corners and then file the welds so the new gear fits tight on the shaft
Awesome! Thanks! That's on tomorrow's checklist.

~g
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
GeoffInCarlsbad

All set. thanks to all who contributed to the success of this project.

I was able to knock the shaft out, but with a few solid raps on the shaft. Used a 3/8" steel rod, from a previous project, secured old housing in a large vice, and started to give it some pretty solid raps, a lot more than a few taps I was anticipating.

Inspected the shaft, and filed down a few burrs on the edge created by some previous taps. Once I had it out, I placed the gear and the 2 washers (1 on each side) and used my vice to press the swing arm & shaft back into the new housing. I used a 3/4" socket as a receiver to accommodate the shaft being pushed all the way through. filled it up with lithium grease, and I was in business.

The easiest way to address the project was to disassemble the entire assembly, giving me plenty of room to maneuver and re-assemble before re-attaching the assembly back to the trunk. Ran several tests, and the swing arm acts accordingly.

I did replace all the machine bolts and nuts used to secure the assemblies. You can see the new bolt and nut on the lower portion of the housing. I also put a socket bolt in the top hole of the housing to make it easier to remove, should I have to do that any time in the future, but this machines billet aluminum should last for quite some time.
Attachments
Starboard Side
Starboard Side
Port Side
Port Side
Close up
Close up
Before
Before
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
GeoffInCarlsbad

Re: 61 Convertible Deck/Flip Lid Gearbox Housing Post Op

Everything works fine. I am working in my garage tonight with a low ceiling/garage door, so I can not retract the roof; however, I exercised the trunk opening and closing, with the deck lid flipping up (in retract mode) and then folding back down (in erect mode). No sagging in either mode.

I will back her out tomorrow morning, and see what it looks like with the top retracted and the deck lid extended to cover the rear deck. But as of this writing, all is secure as it should be, limit switches exercise properly, gaps are measured and are similar. I'll pull out the calipers in the morning to measure it all, but for now, all is working as it should.

I assume there will be a need to make adjustments to ensure the lids lies flat once extended. Want to make sure the everything is secure, and no sagging that may cause the deck lid to cause this break again.
Geoff in Carlsbad CA