Gear Shift Selector Stuck in Park

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Bob C

Gear Shift Selector Stuck in Park

Post by Bob C »

I just purchased a 1960 T-Bird. The gear shift lever is in Park and will not move. The shop manual is of no help. The lever will not move in toward the driver nor will it pull out of park. Previous owner states that he never had this problem. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

jeez, I wish you would have picked a different user name :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: Good luck,( The original Bob C) :cool:
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Ian M Greer

Post by Ian M Greer »

Bob I'm no expert on squarebirds , but I would say your going to have to pull the steering wheel with a steering wheel pulley. Obviously something has broken or jamed in the wrong spot and the only way to see the problem is pull the wheel and get under it and find whats jaming. Make sure that your shift linkage is free maybe disconnect is at the transmission and check it and that the transmission is not jaming up internally .Of coarse check the linkage and transmission first before tearing into the steering wheel and column. Hope this helps as at least a starting point . Ian
1963 M Landau Caspian Blue (Remember Not All Birds Fly South)
Member #-12090
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Would it be worthwhile to try rocking the car slightly back and forth while also trying the shift lever?
partsetal

Stuck in Park

Post by partsetal »

I'd first disconnect the shift rod at the bottom of the steering column and see if the shift lever is free or not. If the problem is there then you have to disassemble the steering hub to investigate farther. If the shift linkage to the trans will not move, then I'd focus on the transmission for a solution.
Bob C

Problem Solved

Post by Bob C »

Bob C wrote:I just purchased a 1960 T-Bird. The gear shift lever is in Park and will not move. The shop manual is of no help. The lever will not move in toward the driver nor will it pull out of park. Previous owner states that he never had this problem. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Problem solved today. :smile:
dales65

Post by dales65 »

Bob, ya can't just leave us hanging like that, what was the problem & solution? :???:

Dale
65 convertible with tonneau
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

dales65 wrote:Bob, ya can't just leave us hanging like that, what was the problem & solution? :???:

Dale

Good point. There is a grease fitting at the bottom of the steering column where the linkage conects to the trans linkage. The grease coagulated (from lack of use) which got so hard the linkaghe couldn't move. I sprayed WD40 into the opening and kept working the shift lever by pulling really hard and finally the linkage started to move. Also there is a removable plate on the steering wheel hub which gives access to the indicator.I lubed that with WD40 which helped loosen it as well. I will continue to work the lever until I get it to move normally. Things are lookingup.
:smile: