59 conversion from hydraulic to disc

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
crittenden

59 conversion from hydraulic to disc

Post by crittenden »

1. Is conversion a good idea for a Sunday driver?
2. If yes, is there a reliable conversin kit somewhere? I've seen ads.....
Ken Harkema

Disc brake conversion

Post by Ken Harkema »

I have converted several Squarebirds to disc brakes for customers. I would suggest it is a waste of money. If you drive these cars as they were designed to perform you won't have any issues with the brakes. They only 'bonus' you would get with the conversion is a double acting master cylinder meaning you would have two separate braking systems in case of a wheel cylinder or brake hose failure. The negatives of the conversion are the cost of installation and you will need to convert to 15 inch wheels or use spacers on the front hubs or the calipers will not clear the inside of the wheels.
Tbird60

Re: 59 conversion from hydraulic to disc

Post by Tbird60 »

my conversion was with 1969 -70 LTD Only spindles they bolt up in birds spot just fine with iron caliper .
I had the 1978 ranchero rims that are reversed .14x6 .. But since have switched to 1996 ford ranger pu wheels 14x6 Alloy .
and lost 1/3 the weight . the ford hubcaps bite in just fine though you will need to bend All tab surface inward with needle nose
pliers . they knock on with rubber mallet a little harder than normal . brake valve adjustment and this car stops as good as
any monticarlo could .
four shock set up up front stiffens the nose some what . :cool:
tbird430

Re: 59 conversion from hydraulic to disc

Post by tbird430 »

My 1960 is still all stock drums. I only add maybe 300 miles a year on her. I've been just fine in traffic & on the highway. One just has to plan ahead & be aware of other "idiot" drivers...

-Jon in TX.
The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. Unique in All the World.....