LH Brake Light Issue

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Ekarras

LH Brake Light Issue

Post by Ekarras »

Hi,
I have a 1960 Convertible Thunderbird and I am trying to work out why my Left-Hand tail lights go off when I press the Brake, the RHS work perfectly fine??? Any ideas would be appreciated. I also just noticed that my headlights aren't switching on?
Regards,
Ed
tbird430

Re: LH Brake Light Issue

Post by tbird430 »

Grounds good back there??
The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. Unique in All the World.....
fordrodsteven

Re: LH Brake Light Issue

Post by fordrodsteven »

Ekarras wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:00 am Hi,
I have a 1960 Convertible Thunderbird and I am trying to work out why my Left-Hand tail lights go off when I press the Brake, the RHS work perfectly fine??? Any ideas would be appreciated. I also just noticed that my headlights aren't switching on?
Regards,
Ed
I would guess you have a bad ground connection someplace. In looking at the wiring diagrams the tail lights are powered from the headlight switch. It is entirely possible you have a bad connection in the headlight switch causing your issue. The only thing that makes me second guess the headlight switch is that you say the right side tail lights work fine. So.... again that leads me to believe you have a bad ground someplace and it could affect the headlights as well as the tail lights. There are connectors (according to the wiring diagrams) at the taillights that go to ground (black wire). Check for corrosion at the connectors. If you find corrosion take it apart and clean it. Splice in new connectors if they are badly corroded. There should also be a ground connection at the headlights at the front. You will probably find a black wire that has a spade lug at the end and a screw that bolts it to an inner fender or radiator brace. Look to see if they are rusted. If yes take it apart, clean it and put it back together.
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird