Looking for 58-59-60 Conv, What Is Important?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
RVPilot

Looking for 58-59-60 Conv, What Is Important?

Post by RVPilot »

Hi Folks ...
I owned a nice 57 TBird for 5 years, and over that time corrected numerous "non-data-plate" issues and added new top, new interior, disc brakes radial wide white tires for safety, but never had to do anything structural (rust, body work, paint, chrome) as the car had been frame off restored 20 years earlier, and the result was a Senior Car award at a VTC conference 4 years ago.

As a result I received an amazing purchase offer from a collector in Australia, and was willing to sell the car as my long legs always had difficulty fitting under the steering wheel to the degree that I had lots of physical knee discomfort (if I was 5'5" it'd been no big deal).

So, I am getting the Thunderbird Itch again and am beginning to look around ... and would really love to find a Squarebird convertible in the next couple of years. There are a number of them out there in the mid to upper $20s to low $30s ... and then a few in the upper $40s and $50s. I am looking for a solid daily driver that is a "wow, thats cool" 10 footer, but it doesn't need to be a VTCI award winner. And, I am willing to re-do interiors, clean engine bays, and go back to "data plate correct" whenever reasonable.

What are the main things I need to look for to decide to stay away from a car for ... frame and floor panel rust, a car NOT from the dry southwest, engine and tranny never been rebuilt, top non-operational, etc. And, what price range for what I'm looking for would seem acceptable?

Any feedback offered would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, RVPilot
RVPilot

Re: Looking for 58-59-60 Conv, What Is Important?

Post by RVPilot »

Hi Again ...
And also, what are the main factors to consider if you were choosing 58 vs 59 vs 60 ... stay away from the 60 power tops? the 58 brakes were ineffective, the 59s were a good mid ppoint? etc ...

Thanks Folks, RVPilot
tbird430

Re: Looking for 58-59-60 Conv, What Is Important?

Post by tbird430 »

'58 conv'ts are very limited, due to the production delay. These also have the rear coil spring suspension system which is a pain to restore.

1958-59's also didn't have the "full-power" conv't top. The brake system's were pretty much all the same.

1959-60 had the good old rear leaf-spring suspension back. There was also the mighty 430cid engine option. :cool:

Which, IMO, leaves the higher production # 1960 model your best fit. The whole top can be raised/lowered from sitting in the drivers seat as well.

-Jon in TX.
The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. Unique in All the World.....