Help! Front Drum Brakes on '60 Bird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
PeterM

Help! Front Drum Brakes on '60 Bird

Post by PeterM »

Can anyone recommend a manual with diagrams for Brake service on my '60 T-bird?
Short version: My brake lines are dry, master cylinder good & bench bled. Opened line to front left wheel - ran wire through - steel lines and flex line are clear and in good shape. I understand that you have to remove the hub because its part of the drum, but where is the bleed valve on the front wheels? it doesn't appear in the diagram I've seen. My plan was to bleed the front wheels first then go to the back, maybe find a leak or blockage.

More: Car has not been on the road for 10 years but its seen no winters and the brake lines are mostly in good shape. Brakes became a problem after a mechanic worked on the engine last year. I tried to bleed the left rear wheel with a vacuum bleeder but got no fluid (maintained vacuum), so there is a blockage somewhere. My plan was to start with the front and work my way back, when I figure out to bleed the front. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide - Peter
Alan H. Tast

Re: Help! Front Drum Brakes on '60 Bird

Post by Alan H. Tast »

PeterM wrote:Can anyone recommend a manual with diagrams for Brake service on my '60 T-bird?

1960 Ford Thunderbird Shop Manual
- the one Ford published for owners, mechanics and their dealerships. Available in reproduction from those vendors who support VTCI and the VTCI Forum.

You can't own one of these cars without the factory shop manual and Owner's Manual, and it is VERY helpful to have reproductions of the factory assembly manuals (electrical, body/trim) as they have exploded diagrams, wiring schematics and instructions on how the cars were originally built. Having the two-volume 1949-1959 Ford Car Parts & Accessories Catalog, i.e. the "Blue Bible" is almost mandatory if you plan on replacing parts and need to ID part numbers, names, etc.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Thanks Allen - I'll order a manual. By the way, I did find the front bleed valve behind the wishbone. Built "Ford tough" - I'll continue bleeding my way around the car. - Peter

By the way, is your book available through Amazon?
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

PeterM wrote:Thanks Allen - I'll order a manual. By the way, I did find the front bleed valve behind the wishbone. Built "Ford tough" - I'll continue bleeding my way around the car. - Peter

By the way, is your book available through Amazon?
Thanks for asking If it is, I'm not getting anything from it - the first one has been out of print for almost 20 years, the second for about 10. VTCI still has copies of "Thunderbird 50 Years" through the Country Store. If interested in obtaining an autographed copy, I still have a few - PM me for cost/info. BTW my name is spelled A L A N.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster