1960 Convertible Restoration Questions

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
cdgrosz

1960 Convertible Restoration Questions

Post by cdgrosz »

I need a little help and guidance. Here is what I have....!960 T Bird Convertible with a 430 Lincoln Motor. The car has power windows, power brakes, power seats, power top, air conditioning, red leather interior, raven black exterior. The body was reworked about 10 years ago and is in very nice condition. The interior is original and needs to be replaced. The engine bay is all original. The motor , transmission and rear end are all original and have never been out of the car. I have the original build sheet for this car. Here's my question and my concern: To bring this car up to a high quality show condition car I would need to spend about $20,000.00. If I did I would have about $50,000.00 in this car. Is it worth doing this? or should I just leave it the way it is? I truly do not know the value of this when it is totally restored so I am looking for advise , if I should leave it or restore it. If I restore it...is it really worth it? Any advise would be appreciated.
Joe Johnston

Re: 1960 Convertible Restoration Questions

Post by Joe Johnston »

The body was reworked about 10 years ago and is in very nice condition.
To bring this car up to a high quality show condition car I would need to spend about $20,000.00
Very nice paint and overall appearance is an excellent thing, but at 10 years old it probably would not stand up to the exacting standards of competing in "high quality show condition". In my opinion achieving that quality, everything (paint, chrome, underside, engine bay, glass, mechanicals, complete interior, etc) would have to be done again and would probably exceed your $20,000 guesstimate. It takes a lot of money, time and hard work to achieve perfection.

Perhaps a couple of questions need to be presented:
How much are you able and willing to do yourself?
What do you really want from the car? Perfection? Nice car for local show and shine events? Enjoyable daily driver?
Do you have (or are willing to buy) a tow vehicle and enclosed trailer to take the car to high quality shows?
If you just have the interior re-done, would that be acceptable and make an enjoyable car for you to drive?

More questions than answers, I know, but this topic is always one that is of concern to any collector car owner. Drive? Show? Modify? All in the perspective of the owner and what he wants.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink