1960 T-Bird Title Search

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
lashirtz

1960 T-Bird Title Search

Post by lashirtz »

How can I find who the original owner was of a 1960 T-Bird?
Or, how can I run or obtain a title history for a car that old?

This is very important to me...it was my grandfather's car, whom knew Henry Ford very well and supposedly sold my grandfather his T-Bird.
I want to see if this is true....also I feel there may be some truth to it. I remember my father/mother talking in the 80's saying Henry Ford Museum in Detroit (where we lived ) had contacted him wanting to know if they could get the car (buy it) for the museum.

I am now looking into all of this....my parents never did anything with the car; my dad has passed and my mom has dementia....so I am trying to see what I should do with the vehicle and determine its worth, etc.

thank you for listening!
kevindeluca66

Re: 1960 T-Bird Title Search

Post by kevindeluca66 »

There is a book called "How to Find Cars & Owners", by Barbara Spears and Mike Brezden, published in 1991. I asked this question a few years back and recieved this as an answer but with three young kids I dont have the time right now to do this research.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Assuming you're still in Michigan, you won't get far on a title search. Michigan destroys anything older than 10 years. They do have a form to use in title searches, but there is the 10 year limit. The Henry Ford story is nice, I'd like to see some solid facts with it. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Henry Ford passed in 1947, so unless he mastered reincarnation along with automation it is impossible for him to have sold a 1960 T-Bird.

Perhaps he meant Henry Ford II?
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Pretty-much had to be Hank the Deuce :cool:
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
vince

Post by vince »

I think even if you found the original title it likely won't have Ford's name on it. I would bet Michigan franchise law would prevent him from a direct sale. Of course could be wrong. There was an article in Hemmings recently about a dealership in Dearborn which was the delivery dealer for Ford. Ford had a program for "direct factory delivery" in the 50's and 60's. Buyers could select this option at the local dealer and travel to Detroit. They would get a tour of the factory and other Ford facilities. However, they had to go the dealership to pick up the car. So Henry may have told your Dad the car was theirs but the documentation may be in notes and not a title. Good luck.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress