Average cost for "condition 4 original" full restoration

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
humancando

Average cost for "condition 4 original" full restoration

Post by humancando »

I have owned a 1964 and 1963 Thunderbird in the past but have always thought a squarebird would be fun. I have been looking a clean original hardtop that runs and has with little to no rust but it needs a full restoration. If I went to a restoration shop and did not do the work myself what is the expected cost range? I asked this same question of Amos Minter in Dallas but he only works on baby birds.
GeorgeG

Re: Average cost for "condition 4 original" full restoration

Post by GeorgeG »

It's been a while, but the last time I checked (before I started to do the restoration myself) cost for resto for my '61 at a reputable restoration shop was between $50-$70K. Should be about the same for your square bird. That's for a "street" restoration....all torn apart and put back together, everything nice and shiny, mechanically great, and could win some awards in local shows. Concours restos potentially a lot more.
George
VTCI #9586
Early '61 hardtop: 4-wheel discs, C6 trans, 390 HP, coil over shocks, tach, LED lights....in family since new
'75 Porsche 914 1.8 FI upgraded to 2.0 specs
Royce Richmond

Post by Royce Richmond »

I just finished some repairs and installed after market a/c in a friends 60 and the total cost for that was $13k. Of course it was a convertible. Be very carefull that you don't get over your head cost wise on a hardtop. That $50-60k restoration cost you will never be able to recoop with a HT.You can find very nice quality 60 HTs for around $15k and they are ready to drive and have fun with.
Royce
guy7981

Post by guy7981 »

I just spent over $ 100,000. and had started out planning on about 25,000. got a little carried away. and that didn't include the chrome, interior, parts, and engine rebuild I had done and stored 20 years ago.