Disassembled 60 with Factory Moonroof. Value?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
sseebart

Disassembled 60 with Factory Moonroof. Value?

Post by sseebart »

A 60 hardtop with a factory moonroof is being advertised in my area. The ad doesn't include pictures and so far I haven't been able to get the information off the warranty plate, either.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4835771380.html

According to the listing, the owner had intended to cut the roof off to make a roadster(!), but for whatever reason changed his mind and is now selling the car disassembled for $3000. He's offering a used 390 and a C6 as part of the deal or a rebuilt 352 truck motor with some speed parts for an additional $1200.

I have a 64 and would love to add a squarebird to the roost, but don't know that much about them. Did these come standard with an FE motor or a y-block? A friend in my neighborhood has a moonroof car with the optional 430--beautiful motor, but I imagine pretty scarce.

If they were equipped with an automatic, would it have been a COM, or is 60 too early for that?

Thoughts on the value for the money here, if I'm considering restoration to factory specs?

~Steve
Joe Johnston

Re: Disassembled 60 with Factory Moonroof. Value?

Post by Joe Johnston »

I don't think you can go wrong if it is what the seller claims it to be. Just the fact of having a factory sunroof adds value and being rust free saves a lot of work and money. Make sure he has a clean title in his name before buying.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
sseebart

Re: Disassembled 60 with Factory Moonroof. Value?

Post by sseebart »

Got the seller to send me a couple of photos. In this one, you can see that there's some kind of moonroof on the car, but when I pressed for the warranty tag information before coming to see the car, the seller vanished.

Guessing that some kind of scam was involved, just not sure what kind.

~Steve