Let's make use of it.

How to's when detailing your Thunderbird
redbird1

Let's make use of it.

Post by redbird1 »

Terri was good enough to take my suggestion, and add a detailing section.
How about some of you putting it to good use?
I know I can't be the only one that wants to know what others are using to detail.
Bob.
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

Bdastrk wrote:What do you consider detailing?

I mean Plumbers putty and Windex isnt what I would call detailing. I am not damning you for the efforts you are putting in, but like anything else there are different levels of detailing.

I personally feel there is a right way and a 1/2 azzed way, If you want to know my steps for polishing paint I will be more then happy to give them too you. However if you dont have 20 hrs to spend on the paint, You dont have the ability to use a buffer then all is wasted.

But what the Hell

New Paint process

#1 wet sand starting with 800, then 1000, the 1200, then 1500, the 2000 and then 2500

#2 I use a Abralon pad wet of coarse 3000, 4000, 5000

#3 Polish With a Wool Pad, I am right now working with Adams products but there are many too choose from

#4 Glaze with wool Pad

#5 Swirl Remove with Virgin Lambs wool pad

#6 Swirl Remove with Finish Foam Pad

#7 Seal with Finish Foam Pad

#8 Carnuba Wax with an Electric Orbital buffer

These are the steps I take when finishing off a brand new paint job

On Something older...............I re paint it! LOL
It appears that your process is too the extreme.
I don't think most would go to all that trouble.
Pictures of your finished product would be great.
I am sure we would all like to see them.
Bob.
edpol

Post by edpol »

In that case, it's time to get rid of that marginal camera. The pics make your show quality efforts look like production work. Not like this:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6215/631 ... 3ae3bc.jpg
cdhowell

Post by cdhowell »

Bdastrk wrote:What do you consider detailing?
I would consider detailing as a process to restore finished product quality.

What you describe seems to be a cut and buff procedure for new finishes.

I could be wrong, but believe the original post was to be more on the lines of what i described above.

Nice work in your pics. How would you remove Road tar, hard water spots,
carpet stains, etc...?
Did you ever stop to think and forget to start again?
edpol

Post by edpol »

I didn't say your work looks like production work, I said the camera makes it look like production work.
If you take that much pride in what you do, you should also show pics that reflect your talents when bragging how great you are, instead of pics that make your work look ordinary.
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

Bdastrk wrote:
edpol wrote:I didn't say your work looks like production work, I said the camera makes it look like production work.
If you take that much pride in what you do, you should also show pics that reflect your talents when bragging how great you are, instead of pics that make your work look ordinary.
I don't take pictures, others send them too me! like I said if it was important too me then I would get into it but it isn't so I don't!

I really don't concern myself all that much of what people I don't know really think. My inner circle of car enthusiast are really the only ones who's opinions really matter to me. As bad as it sounds the every day guy who does back yard work never really comes into play when he or her voices their opinion.

My work is a reflection of myself and deep down inside everyone else's opinion really doesn't matter all that much!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and you have made yours.
My opinion is, if I spent as much time as you obviously do, to make my vehicles look the best they could, I would make dammed sure where ever they were shown, be it pictures, video, or classic shows, those things would bring out the best in my vehicles.
Admittedly, the pictures you have posted here, do not dictate the amount of work you apparently put into them.
I am sure you are aware that the name of the game in detailing is to make the vehicle look as good as possible, what ever that takes.
Some of us have successfully found shortcuts to obtain a stunning finish on our vehicles, and the pictures we post here are positive proof of our efforts .
I posted a picture of the beginning of the detail finish work I will be doing on my pickup truck, and just that one fender that is finished shows what a good detailing job should look like when finished.
The finish should be as clear as though one were seeing a mirror reflection.
It doesn't get any better than that, and no mechanical polishers or buffers were used to achieve that mirror finish.
Bob.
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

Bdastrk wrote:OK Bob

If you say so!

Apparently you have not been around many high end cars, because I can tell you first hand that one of the greatest coaches ever assy was impressions. If you are not versed on what impressions is " Google it " The phot shoot for impressions was one of the best photo shoots of all time per street rodder magazine. Those photos where amazing and yet I have spent quite a few hrs up close and personal with impressions and it did NOTHING for that car...........NOTHING!!!

Photos no matter what the quality do not point out the orange peel you have in that fender.......thats right Orange Peel! You fender in your picture looks as good as my 32 in my picture yet I would put my 32 title up against your Dodge Dakota that says my paint and finish work BLOWS your Dakota out of the water.

Bottom line is simple.........Pictures LIE, Women LIE, Men LIE.........Live dont Lie!!!
I don't know where you live, but if it is close to Southern California, I would welcome you to come over and take a look for yourself.
There is not one speck of orange peel on my truck.
The paint is the original from the factory.
I would love to have your vehicle parked next to mine.
Then we would see just who get's blown out of the water.
Just on pictures posted, mine is already way ahead in clarity, and that isn't because of my cheap kodak camera.
Bob.
edpol

Post by edpol »

I've rarely seen factory jobs that clear, Bob. Exceptions are when the owner had the car cut and buffed, which is risky with many factory paint jobs.
All in all, you've proven that great finishes are possible, inexpensively, and without a long, multistep procedure.
Results will vary, but I'm convinced, plumbers putty is a viable, less expensive alternative to clay bars. Thanks for the tip.
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

edpol wrote:I've rarely seen factory jobs that clear, Bob. Exceptions are when the owner had the car cut and buffed, which is risky with many factory paint jobs.
All in all, you've proven that great finishes are possible, inexpensively, and without a long, multistep procedure.
Results will vary, but I'm convinced, plumbers putty is a viable, less expensive alternative to clay bars. Thanks for the tip.
The reason it looks so clear is because over the years I have maintained the finish by never ever using soap of any kind on it.
The only time it has seen soap since the day I purchased it new in 2002, is last week when I wanted to strip the wax in prep for claying.
Once fully clayed and waxed, it will never see soap until it is ready to be clayed again.
Bob.
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

Bdastrk wrote:Oh Boy!

Ok!

You win your High end Dodge Dakota paint job that has nothing but some plumbers putty smokes my $20K paint job! Yep you Win!
No need to get sarscastic.
Just admit it, by the pictures you posted, your finish is no where close to the finish on my Dakota, or Tbird.
There is no shame in being second as long as you made the effort.
Bob.
edpol

Post by edpol »

The reason it looks so clear is because over the years I have maintained the finish by never ever using soap of any kind on it.
I don't use soap either. Beside removing wax, too many of them leave a residue that takes a lot of rinsing to remove.
I would think using the putty improved the clarity at least a little bit.
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

Bdastrk wrote:Oh I here you my man..............But here is the thing sometime in your life Common sense has to come into play! I would think anyways!
It appears you are suffering from the term "sour grapes", and that is ok with me.
I think this thread has run it's course, and unless there is something else to discuss, I see no need in further response concerning your detail work.
Bob.