Metal Polish

How to's when detailing your Thunderbird
60fore

Metal Polish

Post by 60fore »

Imagine having to keep that beast shined up? It's one of the Allegheny Ludlum stainless steel T-Birds.

Let's find out what everybody likes for keeping those acres of chrome and stainless trim on our Birds shined up....myself I like Nevr Dull wadding for quick touchups and Griot's Metal Polish when it's time to get serious. What say you?
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

As for cleaning chrome, assuming it is not rusted, or pitted, I don't think there is a better product on the market than good ole windex.
I have been using it for many years, and it leaves a shine that will blind you in the sun.
Bob.
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

I like and use 'Wizards' products. I used the metal polish wadding on the aluminium door sill plates on my '61 (I don't think they had ever been polished before I bought the car a few years back) and it brought them up like new in no time. It also works great on tarnished chrome and stainless but is not recommended for use on 'show chrome'

For the paint I use Shine Master polish & sealant and in between polishes I use Mist n Shine for a quick, pre-cruise clean and it is awesome stuff and doesn't leave streaks or smears and like Shine Master, doesn't contain silicones. It also works great on glass, chrome and rubber. The stuff is so slippery I have a hard time with the car cover as it wants to slip off whenever I am trying to put it on!
As for cleaning chrome, assuming it is not rusted, or pitted, I don't think there is a better product on the market than good ole windex.
I have been using it for many years, and it leaves a shine that will blind you in the sun
I like the Windex on the chrome tip Bob. As there is some in the cleaning cupboard, I will give it a go next time around.

Ozzy :smile:
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.
tbird

Post by tbird »

The chrome platers around here all use Windex in their shops to polish prior to wrapping, the plater says that chrome is just the polish over the nickel plate if you use any thing abrasive it will scratch the polish.
That is all I use for my 65 of course it never gets very dirty.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Got one better for you guys. Old farmers in the cold north of Canada use to use grease on their plow shears to keep rust at bay. (have you ever used a rusty shovel vs a shiny one). In my case I wipe down the chrome on my car every end of season with Vasaline. It seals the pores if any in the metal and never have had a corrosion issue. To clean it off I use a soft rag/dish soap and finish up with "WINDEX" the wonder cleaner! An other Vote for windex
edpol

Post by edpol »

So, we can add another couple of items to never be without. Windex and Vaseline!
Move over, duct tape and WD40!
Ian M Greer

Post by Ian M Greer »

Raven , it's funny you should mention that . As a tenager I can remember our next store neighbour using Vaseline on his volkswagon ever winter, didn't look pretty but it works ( those vehicles needed all the help they could get , between freezing to death and not being able to see out the front windows ) sorry I'm not a volkswagon fan . I hope you informed Red Green about it ? Ian
1963 M Landau Caspian Blue (Remember Not All Birds Fly South)
Member #-12090
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

My C puter has been down for a few days and was out of touch. Vasaline has many uses besides baby bottoms! It just hates latex! though. Be carefull around certain items, ha ha. Any filming agent is all that is required, "Crown" rust protectant is a such item. Its use in life only became necessary because tree huggers nixed the idea of oil sprays on cars. What people do not realize is that oil is a natural earth product (dead living matter and animals if you get my drift) its man that made it toxic. An eatable mineral oil is a safe product to use and not toxic. Any volkwagen would love it or Ford or heaven forbid a Chevy.
edpol

Post by edpol »

mineral oil is a safe product to use and not toxic. Any volkwagen would love it or Ford or heaven forbid a Chevy.
Cheap too. And it lasts a long time.