CHROME (Spray On)

This area is open to"How-To" section only for tutorials on fixes, etc. (no profanities/etc.). NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

flyinthermals

CHROME (Spray On)

Post by flyinthermals »

HI All,
I came across an interesting video on a alternative to the expensive chroming process. For the small internal pieces this looks neat.

http://tune.pk/video/3269993/spray-on-c ... eno-garage
Last edited by flyinthermals on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jidi

Post by jidi »

19THUNDERBIRD78

Re: CHROME (Spray On)

Post by 19THUNDERBIRD78 »

Has anyone recently tried these spray on chrome ? Like to see some pictures of automobile parts its been tried on.
Michael Grajales
1978 Thunderbird
Cherry valley Massachusetts
Vintage Thunderbird Club international Member#12358
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

Sorry for the delay in posting.

The spray paint chrome process first came to my attention some time ago on the Camero5 website (my daily driver is a 2011 Camaro). Thought about having some of my Camaro interior plastic parts, now factory painted a dull silver, 'chromed'. However, never followed through with this because I became involved with my 1966 Bird and basically everything on my Bird was either re-chromed, replaced, or polished out in including SS trim when I purchased it.

Found this video from Jay Leno's garage. Jay Leno is a serious car guy and if he takes the time to add this video to his website, I pay attention.

http://www.nbc.com/jay-lenos-garage/vid ... ome/n35122

Personally, would only use this product on "hard to find" parts. There are many after-market vendors offering T-Bird replacement interior parts and only you can determine if it is worth your time, effort, expense, to chrome paint some of your parts or just replace the part from a parts vendor. Contact the paint vendor to be sure this paint application good for both metal and plastic interior finishes. As with any paint process, goes without saying, prepping the surface to be painted critical if you want a flaw free finish.

Hope this helps.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
gyoungwolf

Post by gyoungwolf »

It's been a while since this was posted, but I recently checked on the company in the video and they are out of business for whatever reason. There are a few other companies that offer a similar process, but the cheapest kit is about $2 grand, which seems a bit much for a few small parts. I guess if one was doing a major restoration, it might be a break even compared to sending everything out. It seems that the durability might be limited to interiors or smaller exterior parts. FWIW,
Grant
"The Carbmeister"
1962 Light Blue Convertible
1972 Caddy Hearse (for sale)
2005 Jag XK8 Convertible
2006 Silverado RST Intimidator SS