Brake wheel cylinders

Contains help topics such as posting photos to the forum
RLD4386

Brake wheel cylinders

Post by RLD4386 »

I am replacing all four brake wheel cylinders. I bought a complete set from a local parts house, and was disappointed to find that the bleeder screw was metric, and even though they used my original SAE attaching bolts. I took them back and ordered another set from NPD. When I ordered them, the asked the order taker whether they were made in the USA, and he assured me they were what I wanted, because they were "Wagner". Sure enough, when they arrived, the cylinders were in Wagner boxes, but the cylinders were in plastic bags marked "Made in China". They appear to be exactly like the ones I bought locally. The bleeder screws are metric as well. Does anyone know where I can get good old made in the USA brake parts with 3/8" bleeder screws?
RAVEN

Re: Brake wheel cylinders

Post by RAVEN »

Lets see if we can help.
First you posted in a general area and may not get the answers back as fast as you would like. Re post to the area of your car (eg 61/63 or 64/66 etc.)
Unless I miss read your post you never stated your car year. You did say 4 wheel cylinders so it falls in the 61 to 64 area or earlier.
ALSO just so you know, wheel cylinders are different than todays production parts, in fitment and assembly. Some wheel cylinders are NO LONGER available. From this, I speak of the front wheel cylinder manufacturing. The units you recvd will have a straight bleeder, and the originals will have an angled bleeder. The straight bleeder when installed will interfere with the axle spindle and you will have a challenge in bleeding the cylinder.
A recommendation of rebuilding your old cylinders may be the way to go.
Think about it, check the fitments and repost this to the area you belong and we will help in anyway we can.
Will see if moderator will move this post to correct area, once the year of car is known and we ALL will help if we can.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
RAVEN

Re: Brake wheel cylinders

Post by RAVEN »

RLD4386, sent you an email.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned