Continental Kit '56

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Kneetoe

Re: Continental Kit '56

Post by Kneetoe »

Thanks very much to everyone, This forum rocks!
1956 Fiesta Red 312
2001 Jag XK8
dancingsteven

Post by dancingsteven »

Ok I'm new to my 56 T-bird and my continental kit was all apart when I got the car so only the naked spare is on the car! I plan to leave the kit alone if I ever get it back together in one piece and put a spare in the trunk! My question is how do I mount the wheel cover against the outer rings? Also I can't find the wheel cover! Where do I get one and is there one on the inside and the outside that I connect together in same manner! Any help and pictures of a kit that is kinda apart will help me greatly!
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

paul2748 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 pm I never knoew about the spring and the Parts Illustrated Manual didn't show anything, so I used a modified screw clamp to hold mine together.
IMG_2837.JPG
Paul:
That's a good idea! Much better than the big zip tie I use.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

This is from the 1955-1957 Thunderbird Reference Manual, I strongly urge you to purchase, This will help you put your car together.
Attachments
56 TB Whl Carrier Rr Bumper.JPG
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The covers, parts # 1406, are available from the TBird vendors. CASCO list them in their catalog. One for the front, one for the back

It's been a long time since I assembled mine, but if I remember correctly, I laid one cover on a cardboard piece covered by a blanket, ,laid the tire on the cover, and added the other cover on top of the tire. Then took the ring and carefully spread it to cover the pieces. Not really an easy job but doable without scratching the paint. I did it myself, but a helper might come in handy. The thing you have to look out for is the position of the rim. I think the air valve has to be on the top so the wheel cover insignia is in the right position. You can check this with the wheel cover
dancingsteven wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:33 am Ok I'm new to my 56 T-bird and my continental kit was all apart when I got the car so only the naked spare is on the car! I plan to leave the kit alone if I ever get it back together in one piece and put a spare in the trunk! My question is how do I mount the wheel cover against the outer rings? Also I can't find the wheel cover! Where do I get one and is there one on the inside and the outside that I connect together in same manner! Any help and pictures of a kit that is kinda apart will help me greatly!
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302