Fuel system cleaner

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

cscolastico

Fuel system cleaner

Post by cscolastico »

I have a 1957 TBird. Are there any recommendations on using fuel line/system cleaners? I drive my TBird about two to three times a month. I dob't have any fuel systems problems and I'd like to keep it that way. Any suggestions?
eboose7

Re: Fuel system cleaner

Post by eboose7 »

I drive my '56 about 1500 mile a year to car shows and club events. I have had success with three additives: Carb Defender Fuel Additive which protects the carburetor from corrosion and deposits of ethanol gasoline (www.drivenracingoil.com); No-Rosion Fuel System Octane Boost which increases octane in modern fuels and protects non-hardened valve seats and No-Rosion Fuel System Combustion Optimizer which stabilizes fuel during storage and enhances combustion of aged fuel (www.no-rosion.com).
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

Back in the early 70s, I added a fuel system cleaner to the gas for my ‘63 Merc. Gas gauge never worked since I bought it, but I alway kept track of the odometer reading/fuel consumption #s, so felt confident when I started off then on a long trip with a full tank. Imagine my surprise when only halfway to my destination (middle of the night/lonely back road), I ran out of gas because the tank had started leaking!
Sometimes with rusty old tank/lines, it’s only the varnish/lead deposits holding in the gas.
cscolastico

Post by cscolastico »

Thanks for the info. Wow, that's quite a surprise that it would eat through a gas tank!
eboose7

Post by eboose7 »

I replaced the fuel tank and the fuel lines when I restored my '56, so contaminants in the fuel line have not been a problem. I've used the above additives for 7 years with no problems.