Heater issues

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Daft Mechanic

Heater issues

Post by Daft Mechanic »

So this is a bit of a strange one.

On the passenger side, front footwell is the heater duct. On there is a cable that is attached to a inner flap to open the heating up. Where does the cable go to?

On the 55 T bird I'm working on the PO has left the cable loose up towards the blower motor. The heater controls only have 2 cables attached, one lower one higher. The heater side is missing a cable plus various connectors to attach the cable if this one is meant to go on there.

I do have photo's of what I mean but I'm struggling to attach them. (postimage I am guessing is the way forward here.)

Anybody shed some light for me please.
Cheers
fordrodsteven

Re: Heater issues

Post by fordrodsteven »

If I remember correctly one cable (heat/defrost on the controller) goes to a flapper within the heater box to direct air down to your feet (heat) or up to the windshield (defrost) and you can set it partial positions to sort of blend the two. The other cable (temp air/ hot / cold) should attach to the hot water valve that allows you to set it to how hot you want the heat to be or shut down the heat to allow cool air to come in by your feet, as in the summertime.
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
Daft Mechanic

Post by Daft Mechanic »

So this is where the cable attaches to the heater trunking.....

This is the control unit...

Looks like the upper central one is missing a screw and cable clamp plus a cable. Am I right in thinking that this is where the spare cable attaches to?
fordrodsteven

Post by fordrodsteven »

Yes that is where the other cable attaches at the control unit in the dash. You don't have the cable or clamp there that I can see. It is set up the same way as the other one. If I remember correctly the bottom cable clamps from the bottom side and the top one clamps from the top side. Probably more important is, do you have the valve that goes at the other end of the temperature cable? It is expensive to replace and you would probably be better off changing it to the mechanical unit available from the Thunderbird suppliers. Unless you are trying to maintain originality!
Last edited by fordrodsteven on Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
Daft Mechanic

Post by Daft Mechanic »

Right.

The end of the cable is actually up by the blower motor and I didnt take a photo of it. So I need to get a screw and clamp to attach the cable. Are these easily available or is it a whole unit purchase job?
Daft Mechanic

Post by Daft Mechanic »

Please also remember that the photo's are from the footwell looking up so they might look a little odd.
fordrodsteven

Post by fordrodsteven »

Daft Mechanic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:41 pm Right.

The end of the cable is actually up by the blower motor and I didnt take a photo of it. So I need to get a screw and clamp to attach the cable. Are these easily available or is it a whole unit purchase job?
I just looked at the Hill's catalog. the clamp is available (P/N 18549C for $1.75) so yes. you can buy the parts separately. Also, if you get stuck on other things the technicians at Hill's are very knowledgeable and easy to talk to if you ask them questions.
Last edited by fordrodsteven on Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
Daft Mechanic

Post by Daft Mechanic »

I'm guessings that 'Hills' are in the USA, not the UK.
fordrodsteven

Post by fordrodsteven »

Daft Mechanic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:27 pm I'm guessings that 'Hills' are in the USA, not the UK.
Oh, Sorry, I didn't realize you are in the UK. Yes, Hill's is in Racine, Ohio, USA. If the call is not too much they are very well versed in the items you are asking about, should you get really stuck. We will try to help all we can here at the web site. Just keep asking. We will try to help.

You may be able to find parts that will work from other cars there in the UK. After all cable clamps and heater valves are used on many cars. Unless you are trying to maintain OEM originality.

Are there any diagrams (or pictures I can take) that might be of use to you?
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
Daft Mechanic

Post by Daft Mechanic »

The car is a 'Concourse' original standard 55 T bird with both soft and hard top.

I'm just trying to help the owner get a few 'small' jobs sorted. Any sort of help in the way of pictures, explanations as to how things go together would be a big help as up until a few months ago I'd never touch a classic American car.

I can take photo's of what I have here so any comparisons would be a great help.
fordrodsteven

Post by fordrodsteven »

Daft Mechanic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:32 pm The car is a 'Concourse' original standard 55 T bird with both soft and hard top.

I'm just trying to help the owner get a few 'small' jobs sorted. Any sort of help in the way of pictures, explanations as to how things go together would be a big help as up until a few months ago I'd never touch a classic American car.

I can take photo's of what I have here so any comparisons would be a great help.
The best way to go about any further questions is to just continue the way you have started.... Keep each separate issue under a different thread. That makes it much easier if doing a search to try to find something that has been discussed and to find your past threads. I think you're doing great so far!
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

Couple pictures of mine.
Attachments
AB16FC96-5BC1-4C36-9979-9C2E8B47F313.jpeg
886BBF86-E9F2-48A3-89BF-DDD42EC9DA09.jpeg
35C7E5B7-44D0-42B9-9785-4F30974014CF.jpeg
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN