Voltmeter

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Jim Yergin

Voltmeter

Post by Jim Yergin »

Some of you may know this but I thought I would post this information for those who do not.
I added a mechanical oil pressure gauge to augment the oil pressure warning light in my '56. Rather than add an auxiliary ammeter or voltmeter to augment the generator warning light, I found on eBay a dual port USB digital LED voltmeter that plugs into the lighter socket. It cost less than
$3.00 with free shipping (from China). I did have to install the CASCO USB power outlet kit in my lighter socket to get it to work. I also had to put a small washer behind the CASCO fitting to make a good connection. The voltmeter may easily be removed and replaced by the lighter when you want the original look (however the lighter will no longer work). You also have the added benefit of being able to charge your phone. The lighter socket is constant power so the voltmeter will display even when the ignition is off. You could re-wire the socket to a power source that turns off and on with the ignition or just slide the voltmeter out of the socket when you want it off.
Hope this useful.
Jim Yergin
Attachments
LED Voltmeter.jpg
USB Power Outlet Kit.jpg
Voltmeter in dash.jpg
Haz567

Re: Voltmeter

Post by Haz567 »

Really good idea!!
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I use one too - great for quick checks on both Thunderbirds and also the garden tractor's charging system. Mine just plugs directly in to the lighter sockets and no USB.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

Cool idea! One thing tho, I wouldn't leave it plugged in unattended...I wouldn't trust a $3 made in China piece of electronics in my car, but that's just the electronics tech in me...

Chris
Jim Yergin

Post by Jim Yergin »

Agreed. As a rule, I don't leave anything on unattended.
I certainly would prefer one made in the USA but could not find one.
Jim Yergin
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I would not even think of having something made in China that could cause a short/fire in my baby bird. If memory comes to mind someone here had a issue with the lighter in their car and caused a fire.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

Ugh, that would be me! I still have horrible memories of that terrible day.

I too installed the CASCO USB device; it was problematic in that I had difficulty getting the device to function from the onset, but the root issue was that when my car was restored, and for some reason unknown, the new cigar lighter did not have a thermal reset installed on it; hence, my cigar lighter was hooked directly to the car battery by way of the light switch. My car is a '57 and I don't know how cigar lighters are wired in the '55 or '56 automobiles, perhaps the same method is used.

Since the USB device tended to be aggravating during installation, I wiggled things around and in doing so, I created a short and within seconds the cockpit filled with smoke. If I had not recently installed a quick battery disconnect, I know without a doubt, my car would have burned, and quite possibly my garage too.

This event was an eye-opener for me because I had just written this huge check to bring this E-Code Bird home and I almost ended everything with an electrical fire. Needless to say, after things settled down and I repaired the wiring harness, I installed an inline fuse to protect the cigar lighter, and now I always use the quick battery disconnect to cut the battery power while the car is sitting in my garage. Plus there are fire extinguishers now installed in my garage and within short reach to extinguish an electrical fire.

Honestly, I would never use the cigar lighter for anything if I did not have an inline fuse to protect the lighter, even if the lighter had the thermal reset. The inline fuse is just good insurance (and simple to install) in case the reset does not function, or is not present. By the way, electrical fires are not uncommon in vintage cars , and cigar lighters are responsible for their share of them.

One other comment and I don't want to sound alarming, but I would revisit the use of the washer to make the USB device work as that may not be a sound electrical practice.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I did not want to single you out, Honestly I really feel for you. When I read that clip in this forum. That day I bought a fire extinguisher and kept it close. Also I turned off the battery power too. I do have my car hooked up to a battery tender just to keep the battery fully charge.
Through the years the wiring gets bridle and caution is taken when ever you need to poke around any wires specialty under the dash can be a catastrophic. Nobody wants to have their car catch on fire. We all learn from everyone's experience when we are working on our birds. It's forums like this one that keep me informed.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I have something similar and use it for checking generator output.
Joe Johnston wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:36 pm I use one too - great for quick checks on both Thunderbirds and also the garden tractor's charging system. Mine just plugs directly in to the lighter sockets and no USB.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302