56 oil pan removal?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

goldwinghg

56 oil pan removal?

Post by goldwinghg »

I have seen a bunch of people talking about how to remove the oil pan,from a 56 312. Some say lift the engine,some say, number 5 top dead center, some say, number 1 top dead center. Well, I glad for their suggestions,but I need to know,from somebody,that has done this. What is the best way to remove the oil pan? Also some say the inker arm,has to been removed. Any help with the best way,would be very much apprieated.
ICON 1956

Re: 56 oil pan removal?

Post by ICON 1956 »

goldwinghg wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:15 am I have seen a bunch of people talking about how to remove the oil pan,from a 56 312. Some say lift the engine,some say, number 5 top dead center, some say, number 1 top dead center. Well, I glad for their suggestions,but I need to know,from somebody,that has done this. What is the best way to remove the oil pan? Also some say the inker arm,has to been removed. Any help with the best way,would be very much apprieated.
Look on page 64 in the Manual Section 10 , It say's On all cars EXCEPT the Thunderbird number 5 cylinder must be approximately top dead center. I just removed my oil pan he other day. I had to unbolt all 22 bolts the two in the front were the hardest to remove. I used a universal extension on a small 1/2 socket to angle and twist them off. to remove the entire oil pan you DO NOT NEED TO LIFT MOTOR. I disassembled the right side idler arm and I have to undo the bolts,washers of the power cylinder (see the picture on Page 201). this helped to easily remove the oil pan. that will need to wiggle out on the drivers side.
Once the oil pan is removed scrape the old cork from the engine base clean the oil from the edge use a acid tone to remove oil. When scraping the motor base becareful of the two nylon tabs at the back of the motor do not remove. Clean around and add the gasket Hi heat silicone Permatex on and around the area, Note you will find a hole next to each tab you can fill it full of the Hi Heat Permatex
I had my car up on my neighbors lift to accomplish this task
Imagescreen capture windows
It took me around 5 hours to complete, I never had to replaced a oil pan before but I was patient and took my time. It just took common sense to put every thing back. I hope this helps...You may PM me if you need more info.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The plastic tabs thing is new to me. What are they for? I don't remember seeing them on any YBlock
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I found them on the block, as you see on the photo. I did not want to mess with them.When I removed the pan there was an impression of them in the Permatex gasket sealer. The nylon tabs were very stable I did not try to pry them out. I think those might be some sort of plugs, So I wanted to leave them alone. I guess the old saying" don't fix it if it's not broken". If any one that know's about why are these in the Y block please chime in....
Imagescreen shot windows
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309