Clock

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

jereklein

Clock

Post by jereklein »

Greetings
I removed the clock from my 56 (not an easy task) because it wasn't working. I was considering either having it restored or changed to quartz. Before sending it in for the service, I decided to use some oil that came with my hair clippers and to spray the works with wd40. I also used a few drops of 3 in 1 because, well, it was there. I gave the mechanism afew nudges here and there. And....voila. It's ticking away attached to the 2 amp switch off my charger. If it keeps up for a while I will reinstall. Im considering not using the bracket though and just kinda wedging it in as it is such a pain to get out.
Dansbirds

Re: Clock

Post by Dansbirds »

If it’s a bit of hope for you I used the wd-40 method on a inop clock in my corvette and it’s been working for over 2 years now.
Have had over 40 t birds here from 57-2004
Currently have a 65,70,and 80 Silver Anniversary
scolastico

Post by scolastico »

The same happened to me. I removed the clock (what a bear of a project), took it partially apart - and it started working. I oiled it and replaced it. It's been working for a year now.
jereklein

Post by jereklein »

Thanks for the comments.
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

I can't recall for sure, but seems like I remember bracket provides electrical ground.
jereklein

Post by jereklein »

Yes a stud on back of case goes through bracket and is connected to a ground wire. I was just going to connect that wire to the stud and not use the bracket.
Woodyz

Post by Woodyz »

My ‘56 might have a 6volt 55 clock in it because the minute hand rotated around real fast since the ‘56 is 12 volt.
Is this lodgical thinking?
Woody
fordrodsteven

Post by fordrodsteven »

Woodyz wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:39 pm My ‘56 might have a 6volt 55 clock in it because the minute hand rotated around real fast since the ‘56 is 12 volt.
Is this lodgical thinking?
Woody
You may be correct. I know my clock out of my '55 says "6V" on the back of it and it was originally wired as positive ground. Probably should get a mirror and try to look up in there to see if it says 6V or 12V.
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
Woodyz

Post by Woodyz »

Thanks Steve I’ll try a mirror but I may have to take it out.
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

Woodyz ... My 56 was also running real fast. It was broken and needed repair. Jerry at clockwrks did a great job with 1 yr warranty. I also reinstalled without the bracket. Makes it alot easier to remove and reach to back of speedo for access to lights and oil wick for speedo cable.
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
posmanski

Post by posmanski »

If you ask a clock repairman about WD40, they'll tell you to never ever use it in clockworks. They say it penetrates into the metal and will eventually gum up the works. He'll tell you to only use special clock oil on a clock. WD40 is not a lubricant. It may free up the works for a while, but it will eventually dry up.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Right on. We all know WD40 is great for accessible larger moving parts. Garage door rollers, gates, etc. As mentioned above not good for intricate clocks, locks systems etc. It will gum up with dust and dirt then evaporate leaving a dried mess.