Manual Steering conversion

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

adg57

Manual Steering conversion

Post by adg57 »

My car has an aftermarket power steering conversion that was done decades ago (by the looks of it). it is proving to be a maintenance headache & I'm tired of messing with it...
Has anyone tried to convert power steering to manual? Think I could handle the steering, don't drive it that far. Thinking there might be benefits to chucking the whole thing.
Thanks!
Andy
1956 312
CSavaglio

Re: Manual Steering conversion

Post by CSavaglio »

My '55 is a non power steering car and I don't find the steering effort excessive at all, but I'm relatively young and in good shape. I also run bias plies and radials, especially wide ones, add to the steering effort. I don't really notice the wheel effort when parking, just when not moving at all, although I'm used to it too. I can parallel park the car... not as easily as a modern car, but I've never been in a situation where I felt limited because of it. The baby birds are fairly light cars and I personally think it's not necessary.

I actually prefer manual steering to power in old cars. There always tended to be too much assist and no feel. I had a '69 Vette that I converted from power to manual since I got tired of leaks and professionally rebuilt components (EVERYTHING leaked!) were really expensive. I had no regrets at all. With sort of wide radials and the much smaller steering wheel, the effort was a bit at very low speeds, but still not bad and the feel was much better overall. I had a '56 Mercury that originally had power steering and I converted just to get it back on the road with the intent to rebuild and put it back on. I never bothered since I liked the way it felt without it.

I've had old cars with and without power steering and I usually prefer without. It's a much sportier, connected feel and like you said, the maintenance it a lot easier. It cleans up the engine bay a bit too without the extra belt, pump and plumbing. I had a '58 Cadillac 60 Special I was restoring and eventually sold the project...I think that car, being every bit of 5200lbs as mine was equipped, would prob be better off with power steering tho...

Depending on how the conversion was done, you may or may not need new components. On the Merc, it was just the pitman arm and drag link to go to manual. On the vette, the steering ratio was different so it had a different steering gear box, as I recall.
goldwinghg

Post by goldwinghg »

My 56, has manual steering,with Coker bias ply tires. I am not a young person,but I don't find it that difficult to drive. It would probably drive better with radial tires,but I don't think it is that bad,with the bias tires.
scolastico

Post by scolastico »

I have a 57 TBird with factory manual steering. I don't notice any difference in normal driving. I find it a little hard when the car is not moving, but not intolerable. I am 68 and have no problem.
voltron

Post by voltron »

My '57 was originally a manual steering car. Changed it over to power steering. I am changing it back to manual because of chronic leaks. You'll need a manual steering drag link and a manual idler arm assembly. Also a plug for the water pump to put in place of the big bolt holding the power steering pump bracket when you remove it.
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

goldwinghg wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 am It would probably drive better with radial tires,but I don't think it is that bad,with the bias tires.
You’ve got to be kidding. After 25 yrs. of driving cars only equipped with radials, when I took delivery of my manual-steering ‘55 with bias tires and hit the highway, my first thought was that there must be something seriously wrong with the steering mechanism! It was wandering all over the road, and required constant correction. Installing radials made it feel like the car was on rails. At highway speeds, the steering is actually lighter (and more pleasing to drive) than many new cars with electric assist. Women & 90# weaklings who do a lot of parking maneuvers would likely squawk re: no power assist though.
adg57

Post by adg57 »

Thanks for the replies. I use skinny radial tires, so don't think there'd be a problem.
May make one more attempt (ugh) to rebuiild the power steering control valve. Currently shooting red stream across garage floor when steering is tested. Seems to have many nuanced pieces that I didn't anticipate. Hard to see how it could ever be made to not leak...
Will try to find the manual drag link & idler arm parts in the meantime.
Thanks again.
Andy
1956 312
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

My 57 is factory manual and I only notice it if I'm barely moving or trying to turn sitting still. It was a bear with bias plys, but handles much better with the radials. I'm in my 60's and not blessed with big arm muscles, but I have no issue with manual. Of course everything else in the garage is power steering.
1957 Raven Black E-code, manual (second owner)
1990 Super Coupe, auto. (original owner)
adg57

Post by adg57 »

Ok, got the parts needed to convert to manual steering. Does anyone know what kind of bolts are required to attach the idler arm bracket to the frame? There are two of them. I can find a special bolt kit for the power steering bracket but not the manual version.
Thanks.
Andy
1956 312
adg57

Post by adg57 »

Never mind, found them.
Do I really need to drain the coolant to remove the power steering pump?? ::?
1956 312
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

You can drain the rad or just catch the fluid that will come out of the pump housing when the mount bolt is removed.
Draining it first may be less messy
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
adg57

Post by adg57 »

Thanks for all the replies. This has turned into quite a project :smile:
All of the power steering bits are removed. Now attaching (or attempting to) the manual steering parts. This is a huge favor to ask, but can anyone with a manual steering car tell me how far apart the holes in the manual steering drag link (aka "steering arm to idler arm rod") are? The ball studs on the end of the inside end of the tie rods attach here. The power steering rod mounts are 8 inches apart & the manual steeing drag link attachments are 5 inches apart. Therefore the tie rods do not reach.
If the holes (or stud attaching points) are supposed to be 5 inches apart, I'll order new, longer tie rods.... If the attaching points are supposed to be 8 inches apart - I have the incorrect manual steering drag link.
Thank you!
Andy
1956 312
adg57

Post by adg57 »

Six weekends & a couple of wrong parts shipments later, it's done! Car handles great & will never leak power steering fluid again. Also satisfied the car is back to it's factory configuration.
Ended up with one tie rod a little longer than the other & also will have to re-check the toe-in.
Appreciate the guidance.
Andy
1956 312
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

great work. I have a 57 with manual steering and put on the Bias look radials as I wanted to keep the effort low. They are very good so hopefully your skinny radials are just as good, if not try a set- bit expensive but much better than bias tires.
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
adg57

Post by adg57 »

Thanks. I barely notice the extra steering effort. When I put new tires on last year, went with Hankook P205/75 R15 with white sidewall. Seem to recall these were made for late 80’s Toyota pickup.
30E1483F-D686-4071-956F-0B41AC86408C.jpeg
1956 312