3-Speed Transmission -- Neutral to First Gear

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

fornaroj

3-Speed Transmission -- Neutral to First Gear

Post by fornaroj »

To All

I have always had a problem engaging first gear from neutral. For example, after putting the car into neutral after a full stop at a red light or a stop sign, I grind the gears about 50% of the time when putting it back into first gear. However, if I first move the shifter into 2nd gear and then back to first while at a full stop, I generally don't grind the gears. Note that I have no problems going from neutral to reverse.

Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks

Jim
fornaroj

Re: 3-Speed Transmission -- Neutral to First Gear

Post by fornaroj »

FYI

The issue is with respect to my 1955.

Thanks
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

No 1st gear synchro in ‘55. As long as the clutch is still spinning, gears will grind.
OPTIONS: Shift into low before you start the motor, use the 2nd or 3rd gear synchro, or wait several minutes for the clutch to slow down. Or (like 99% of Hollywood movie actors driving old cars), just grind the gears and let the next owner rebuild the trans.
voltron

Post by voltron »

I believe that was inherent in the design of the three-speed transmissions of those days, something to do with whether or not the first and reverse sliding gear happened to be aligned with the teeth of the cluster when engaged. I think it was 1963 when Ford eliminated that problem with the introduction of a fully synchronized three-speed transmission.