Rear Window Install on a 1957 Hard Top

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

bpoland858

Rear Window Install on a 1957 Hard Top

Post by bpoland858 »

Cleaning up the bird and when I started to clean the inside of the rear window, it dropped out om the trunk. :shock: I guess I should be glad it happened in the garage, and it didn't slide off the trunk and shatter. Now my question is, what is the easiest way to install the window back into the top? I tried for a couple hours and couldn't manage to get the bottom in correctly. I have seen the trick of putting a piece of string in the track of the weather strip and then using that to engage the gasket. I've never tried it. Are there any other tricks that may help? I thought of ordering a new weather strip as the one I have has always had a 1/4 inch gap between the two ends where they are supposed to meet. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BP
Bill P.
1957 'D' Bird
55Greg&Amy

Re: Rear Window Install on a 1957 Hard Top

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

String in the groove, spray the gasket with a lot of glass cleaner to lube it and a helper to push on the outside. I’ve done it several times and only takes about 15 minutes. All the gaskets I’ve used were 1 continuous loop so it would probably be best to order a new one. By the way, the stainless trim is put into the gasket before the glass goes into the opening.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

So let me understand, So you would place the stainless trim around the window with the rubber weather stripping like a frame then use a heavy string as a guide to start the install?...
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Ferrbird

Post by Ferrbird »

Yes, install trim into rubber, then a HEAVY string/cord around inside lip of seal. Twist ends together and leave a foot or do extra to grab onto.
Place window in place against roof, have s buddy hold firmly, and from inside, grab string and pull seal into place, with buddy pressing window seal in as you go around until seated in place. It's a common trick used, maybe google rear window install and should get a few videos of various cars/trucks, but same technique.