Rear Sway Bar

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Haz567

Rear Sway Bar

Post by Haz567 »

Searching thru the forum I see a lot of rear sway bar posts for 1961 and up T Birds but don't see a lot for the 55-57. I am considering a rear sway bar for my 56 and would like to get input from others who have used them on 55-57 T Birds. Now, the rear end of my 56 feels "notchy" when I bring her thru the curves. Any thoughts or advice on usefulness, brands, other possible related issues with the rear end, etc. would be appreciated.
CSPIDY

Re: Rear Sway Bar

Post by CSPIDY »

Installed a rear sway bar on my 57 this past winter. Made a big diferance on corners. Very easy install. Purchased mine from Concours Parts.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

I see that Concours sells both a front and rear anti sway bar. Why just a rear bar and not one for the front?
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

My car came with a front bar from the factory. It much smaller in diameter than what I put on the rear. I was told by an old time Tbird guy that adding the larger diameter front bar adds more stability. Although mine is fine with the stock bar on the front I may replace it one day.
Check yours it may have a front sway bar on it.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

I did the Hotchkiss matched front/rear set. I'm not a fan of adding a rear with a small front since the car was designed and balanced with just the front. I'm very happy with the set. It steps the front one up to almost double the size.

Is the rest of the suspension in good shape? Are the shocks, springs, bushings, etc worn out? Bear in mind the 56 won't handle as balanced as the other years because of the extra weight of the spare tire and all the bracing added so far out behind the rear axle. They also gave it stiffer springs in the rear to compensate.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I have heard that the rear bar should never be heavier than the front bar.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

paul2748 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:36 pm I have heard that the rear bar should never be heavier than the front bar.
For most vehicles, that's the opposite, depending on what you're after. On rear wheel drive cars, a stiffer front sway bar (without making a change to the rear) will make the car understeer. A larger rear sway bar (without doing anything to the front) will make the car oversteer. The factory typically ships a car with understeer designed in because it's safer for every day situations. Better to have the car keep trying to go straight after going to fast into a corner than have it spin and end up in a ditch. For a track car, neutral is what you're after, but for everyday, a little understeer is a good thing.

This is why the Hotchkiss set is so nice...the bars are engineered and sized to work together and give good balance to the car without making it tricky to drive. Suspension packages sold later on by manufacturers that added a rear bar usually also gave a larger front bar.

I'm sure most drivers of 60+ year old t-birds aren't driving their car anywhere near the limit and the very small diameter rear bar sold won't make a big enough difference to the balance to feel during everyday driving. In my opinion, tho, a panic swerve situation is not a good time to find out the car oversteers.
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Thank everyone for their replies! I hadn't thought about the upset of balance by the installation of a rear sway bar.

I am unsure about the condition of the leaf springs and their related bushings. For springs, ride height looks (and measures) correct. Is there another way to check the condition of the springs? Is there a way to check the condition of the spring bushings? If the bushings are bad, how bad a job is it to change them?

Regards
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Other than seeing a broken spring, the only other thing to look for is the pads at the end of the springs. The fact that the car's height is within spec probably means that the springs them selves are in good condition.

Between the spring and the spring retainer is a rubber insulator. For that and the bushings, check for cracking and check how the spring eye is in the bolt that mounts it to the hangers to see if the rubber has been worn away. If the rubber is bad it should be apparent.

Changing the front can be a challenge as the bolts may be rusted in the bushings and be a bear to remove. Lots of penetrant and maybe some heat will help free them up. Back is not too bad as the hangers come apart fairly easy.
Hazard 56 T Bird wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:50 am Thank everyone for their replies! I hadn't thought about the upset of balance by the installation of a rear sway bar.

I am unsure about the condition of the leaf springs and their related bushings. For springs, ride height looks (and measures) correct. Is there another way to check the condition of the springs? Is there a way to check the condition of the spring bushings? If the bushings are bad, how bad a job is it to change them?

Regards
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302