Spare Tire size

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Steve Rinaldo

Spare Tire size

Post by Steve Rinaldo »

I am still fighting with my 1956 spare. I have an 6.70x15 tire [older firestone] which is the stock size. It seems to wide to fit inside all of the spare tire covers and band. I was wondering if any one has found a tire that would make assembling the spare tie components easier. Once assembled and mounted I will never take this apart or use the spare.
Joe Johnston

Re: Spare Tire size

Post by Joe Johnston »

Try assembling with very little air pressure in the tire. I also used wire to draw the ends of the tread band together on mine. Both helped. These can be difficult to fit and look right.
Carry a space saver spare from a later model Ford product.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
goldwinghg

Post by goldwinghg »

I found a new aluminum space saver,on eBay. The owner said it came from a Lincoln. Can't remember what year it came from. Just double check your lug pattern before you buy.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I too have a spare that I will never use, I deflated it to fit inside the band. It's a bear to assemble you might need help so to not scratch the paint. I have a doughnut with a hydraulic jack just in case... For the car show's I also have the original jack complete which I only put in the trunk for judging points.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309