Door Hinge Nut Plates

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Sicklesd

Door Hinge Nut Plates

Post by Sicklesd »

I noticed on my 56 bird that two of the treads on the left door hinge plates are striped. One tread is on the upper inside door hinge plate and the other one is on the lower nut plate in the door post. Someone used a nut behind the plate to get the bolt to tight up. Door works find and I can get to the nuts and remove the bolts. I'm thinking about replacing the nut plates when I replace the electric window wires. Can these two nut plates be replaced easily? If so, does anyone have instructions? I would think that the plate inside the door would be fairly easy to replace once door is removed, but not sure of the lower nut plate inside the door post. Any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks
goldwinghg

Re: Door Hinge Nut Plates

Post by goldwinghg »

Can you retread the hole,and go with the next size larger bolt?
JerryDL

Post by JerryDL »

We have replaced the nut plates in the body and they are easily accessible. First step is remove the front tire and access the retaining housing which holds the nutplate. It's an easy part to reproduce rather than enlarging the holes. If you want to make it stronger at the threads just make the replacement plate thicker.
Sicklesd

Post by Sicklesd »

Thanks to both of you. I would rather replace the plate than having different size holes.
JerryDL

Post by JerryDL »

Good choice. I'm always willing to share my 57 years of auto restoration experience. Contact me anytime.