'55 Vinyl Replacment

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Florida_Phil

'55 Vinyl Replacment

Post by Florida_Phil »

I am considering replacing all the vinyl in my 1955 TBird and would like to know what I'm getting myself into. I assume the old vinyl is glued on? Is it difficult to remove? Is the old glue difficult to clean from the metal parts? I will use contact cement to install the new vinyl. Some of the parts are curved. Is it hard to stretch the new vinyl around these parts without wrinkling? I know I have to remove the dash to install the new dash covering. Thanks!
eboose7

Re: '55 Vinyl Replacment

Post by eboose7 »

Unless you have had extensive experience with interior work in the past, the job you describe is best left to professionals. I had a new vinyl interior installed in my '56 Thunderbird by a local interior shop that does interiors for movie cars and it came out great.
Attachments
DSCN1577 (1).JPG
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

Very nice. My interior is in pretty decent shape for a driver. The vinyl on the dash, the door ledges and the ledge behind the seat are faded. The door and garnish rail vinyl looks fairly straight forward. Removing the dash looks like a huge project, but not beyond my capability. Once it's out, I think I could handle removing the old vinyl and gluing on a new panel. I have worked with contact cement before. Laying down the new dash vinyl and getting in straight and wrinkle free looks like a job for more than one person. Two people holding each end and one smoothing it on may work. Has anyone here attempted this job before?
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

I spoke with a tech at CASCO today on the phone. They said the dash cover is the worst of the bunch, but they gave me some tips on installing the new vinyl. Dash must come out, which is a huge job in itself. Installing it without messing it up or wrinkling is another issue. While the dash is out, I can refinish and paint the metal parts and clean up the knobs and plastic glass. Sounds like a job for this summer when it's too hot in Florida for cruising.
jatkinson

Post by jatkinson »

We just finished doing our 56. Got the vinyl and adhesive from CASCO and did what their tech dept advised. Pulled the dash out and went from there. You can't do it in the car, I have already tried. I also tried using other adhesives and they don't work. Thinner will take the old glue off the armrest pads and dash. The hardest part it doing around the gauges. The trick is to glue a little at a time let it set for a couple minutes and put the vinyl on. Once its on its on. So go slow. Good luck.
1956 T-Bird Sage Green
1970 Mustang Mach 1
2004 T-Bird Platinum Silver
1928 Model A Tudor
2018 Mustang GT Orange Furry
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

While I know that a upholstery novice can do it (some of my club members have) I think that it is job for a professional, especially one who has experience with early Birds. I know a couple of novices who tried it had to buy more than one dash pad. I understand the biggest problem is getting the "wings" on the ends wrinkle free.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

Thanks for the input. I'm under no illusions that this job is easy. My plan is to replace both door arm rest and garnish vinyls first. I have to pull the doors apart to change the front window guides and door handle gaskets anyway. If all goes well, I'll tackle the dash this summer. I bought some VHT red vinyl die in a spray can. I didn't like how it came out, so it's on with the replacement vinyl. I don't trust any of the local restoration shops in Central Florida. If you want things done right around here, you do it yourself.
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Go ahead, you can do it! Seat & seat frame will have to come out also or it will be a struggle. Make sure you label all wires under the dash as you unhook them. An assistant here to label the wires while you are under the dash and hand them to you will save a lot of "up & down". You will be surprised, when your ready, how easy it is to get the dash out. Make sure you get the metal dash really smooth or it will show when you re-vinyl. You will be able to use a orbital sander on most areas if needed. Make sure you get (and keep) the french seams even with the bend on both legs. You will see where the seams go when you get the old vinyl off. Also, use extra care around the speedo & tach as these are the hardest areas. Heat gun can be helpful to stretch the vinyl but be realllly careful to not overdo it. CTCI manual has a good section on the recovering. Do all of your refit, speedo, tach, and all else with dash out of car.

I had never done this before and it came out great. Best of luck!

Hazard 56 T Bird
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

Thanks for the encouragement. My plan is to do the rear and door garnishments first, then move on to the dash. This will give me some experience working with the glue and vinyl before tackling the dash. I restored a 1957 2 door custom a few years back, so I've had a Ford dash out before. I bought some red replacement vinyl and it's looks good. The dash covering is cheap enough. If I have to buy more than one to get it right, so be it.
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Florida Phil:

You've nailed it; same thing I did, practice on the easy stuff first, especially the rear garnish rail, very easy. The door garnishes are a little harder with the tight bend you have to make and then tuck under. Something I left out of my original post, make sure you leave enough material on the ends of the dog legs so the chrome trim will cover.

I'm sure you will do a great job.