Need to re-chrome rear bumper

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Firstandtenth

Need to re-chrome rear bumper

Post by Firstandtenth »

It's getting cool enough now that I won't be driving the birds much this winter so I'm starting on the "bigger" needs for the '57. One of the things I need to get done this winter is to have the rear bumper re-chromed. At Carlisle this past fall I got two suggestions - Paul's chrome outside of Pittsburgh and Librandy near Philly. I expect to remove the bumper and deliver it to the shop performing the work. I'm looking for suggestions. Maybe someone others have used that did good work. I'm located in Central VA.
1957 Raven Black E-code, manual (second owner)
1990 Super Coupe, auto. (original owner)
Oldmics

Re: Need to re-chrome rear bumper

Post by Oldmics »

Labrandis is outside of Harrisburg by the airport.

I have used them extensivly with excellent results.

All quality chrome work is expensive.

You should take all of the parts you are going to have rechromed now as it will be 3 months or so until you get them back.

I hear good things about Pauls but Labrandis is closer.

Oldmics
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

Once again, thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware it was close to Harrisburg - that makes it easier.
Jim Yergin

Post by Jim Yergin »

I just had the rear bumper on my '56 replated at Hanlon Plating in Richmond, Virginia. I was pleased with the service and the results.
Jim Yergin
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

That may be worth checking out. Only an hour down the road. They may be able to turn it around a little quicker - not that it is a big deal over the winter since the car will likely be on the lift most of the winter getting stuff done to it. Thanks Jim.
Oldmics

Post by Oldmics »

Never heard of Hanlon. If you decide to use them please let us know of your results.

Labrandis only does show chrome plating.

Most folks do not understand what that process entails.

Show chrome is sort of like doing expert body work to the pieces before being chromed.

Begins by straightening out the metal surfaces to be flat.

Then stripping and layrering the base materials. Then working those base materials ( sanding and grinding) to create a flat non-rippled surface before the final layres of chrome are applied.

Its a labor intensive,time consuming event.

Just dropping a bumper into a tank and applying the final finish leaves something to be desired (depending upon your expectations)

Perhaps the Richmond shop can do those chores properly and price competitive. I just know that Labrandis does the quality that I expect and will
pay for.

Again if you use the Hanlon please let us know of your experience.

Oldmics
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

I'll keep you posted if I decide to go that route. I called them today - in business for 43 years now. They have a 2-3 week turnaround once they start on the project. Right now they are offering 1/3 off on the second item so I'm thinking about doing the front bumper as well. There is a spot on the left front bullet where the chrome peeled and I think it may be best to do the whole bumper so it doesn't look so different. Trying to get some more references on them - appreciate Jim's feedback on the work they did for him. Other than the rust on the back bumper both of mine are in excellent condition. I know that the previous owner had them both re-chromed in November 1984 by Wendling Restorations (no longer around) for $600.

My big question now is what to expect when I go to remove the bumpers. I can't find any reference in the shop manual. I suspect the front parking lights have to be removed from the rear of the bumper - looks like there are three bolts (2 bottom, 1 top) that need to come off to get the assembly out. I assume just taking the bolts from the frame and taking the whole bumper and brackets off is the best way to go - I can't see how you can get to the bumper bolts otherwise.

My guess is that these bumpers have some weight to them and I'll need a floor jack and a second "helper" to get them off without damage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
eboose7

Post by eboose7 »

You can't go wrong with Paul's Chrome. They did all the chrome on my 1956, which has won an AACA Senior Award and VTCI Senior Car.
Attachments
DSCN1525.JPG
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

Very nice! I stopped by one of our local restoration shops yesterday and got some advice. They have turned out several award winners and began using Royal Silver Manufacturing about ten years ago for all of their chrome needs after some bad experiences with some others. RSMs turnaround time sounds similar to Librandi's - 2.5 - 3 months. All of them have commented that now is the time to get the bumpers to them as they expect more work in February and March. I'm not opposed to driving up to PA, but if I can get a comparable result in VA I'll stay closer to home.
Jim Yergin

Post by Jim Yergin »

Rick,
My car is just a driver so I was not looking for show chrome but I am pleased with what Hanlon Plating did for me. I do not know where in Virginia you are located but I am in Warrenton and you are more then welcome to come by and see my bumper.
Jim Yergin
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

Jim,
I appreciate the offer to come by. I'm south of Charlottesville. I'm not looking for concours quality either - just something that looks good and will last for several years. The owner of the restoration shop didn't mention any "low quality" platers by name, but did insist that he has had great results from RSM. If I'm ever planning to come up your way I may give you a call. Always enjoy looking at T-birds.
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

Thanks to all for the feedback. After talking with several restoration shops and local "bird owners", I've made the decision to make the trip to Labrandis. They weren't the cheapest or the most expensive, but the reception and explanations I got from Mitch made my mind up. It is a bit of a trip (close to 4 hours each way), but it gives me a chance to visit some friends on the way up I-81. Mitch made it clear that I should expect 10-12 week turnaround. The warranty is for the life of the car - that might be another 60 years - it will belong to my daughter long before then.

I hope to get a lot of the other stuff done to the car while I wait to pick up the bumpers around mid-March. Just in time for nicer weather!
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

I've had nothing but good service from Steve at Southern Bumper, Atlanta, but be prepared that it does take time.
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

Finally got the call a little over a week ago that the bumpers are ready. Headed up to Carlisle on Wednesday and will meet up with Labrandi folks at the show to pick up the bumpers. I'll post some pics when I get back.

I certainly didn't get as much done on the car as I thought I would while the bumpers were away. I found more things to do as I did some minor disassembly of the front and rear end - new stone deflector on the back, new exhaust hangers and exhaust deflectors, removed the front grill to polish and fix some wiring on the front, repair and repaint the outer stone deflectors on the front - to name a few things. The more you do, the more you find to do. Anxious to get it back together and start driving again ----- as soon as I replace the 25 year old tires!
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

I got the bumpers home on Sunday, but found some bubbles in the left front bumperette. One phone call to Mitch at Labrandi's and it's back in PA getting re-plated. The rest is perfect! I would recommend them to anyone and everyone.

Will post more pics once everything is back together.
Attachments
IMG_2373.JPG