K&N Air filter model for 57

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

seany-boy

K&N Air filter model for 57

Post by seany-boy »

I have one of the standard chrome air cleaners with cork gasket and thinking of swapping out the cardboard air filter element with a K&N one at next service.
The K&N E-1560 is the direct replacement and is 2.18in high. Has anyone tried the E-1579 which is 2.88 in high and does it fit? I can see I would need a longer screw stud to connect the air cleaner top and I suspect I am not going to be able to fit in the higher cleaner given the tight fit but unsure.
anyone any experience in using the larger element?
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
Joe Johnston

Re: K&N Air filter model for 57

Post by Joe Johnston »

I don't think you will realize any significant performance advantage of the taller filter.

An easy way to check for clearance would be to put several 1 in. balls of modeling clay or aluminum foil on your existing air cleaner lid then close the hood. Open and see how much these balls have compressed showing your present amount of clearance. I would want extra space to allow for the engine movement too.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

Thanks Joe, great idea. I knew there must be a good use for the grandson's play dough we have in the cupboard. :smile:

looks like a bit over 1&1/2 inches and so I am thinking I might try the higher cleaner. If I am going to pay for a K&N then might as well get the best fuel performance I can. Will let you know if it fits.

Cheers
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
Ferrbird

Post by Ferrbird »

I'm with Joe in performance, but otherwise would never use a K&N on anything I run.
Personal beliefs and choice, up to you.