57 bird oil pan removal

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Ferrbird

57 bird oil pan removal

Post by Ferrbird »

I have a a 57 bird with auto trans and want to change the oil pan gasket.
Is there a simple method, without an engine hoist, to get the pan off, because the front engine mount is in the way for several front pan bolts and removal.
CSPIDY

Re: 57 bird oil pan removal

Post by CSPIDY »

I have not removed my pan so take this for what it's worth. My car is currently up on jacks and I looked at the oil pan installation, in fact I put a socket on all of my bolts just to make sure they are all tight. I was able to get to the front bolts using swivel sockets, I have a 1/4 inch set of snap-on that will take the necessary torque. I can't tell you if the pan will clear the bottom of the engine. Although I would not be afraid to try. Good luck.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

The book also says that you have to have the #1 cyl at top dead center. I've never tried to do the pan on the car, so I'm not sure if you can clear everything.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The pan will come off. You may have to unbolt the idler arm from the frame for clearance, but the pan will come off. I helped a friend take his off to change the rear seal.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Ferrbird

Post by Ferrbird »

Thanks for the input guys!
I had #1 piston at top center, removed idler arm and pan slid right out, no issues.
Hardest part was getting the right tools to remove 2 of the pan bolts below front engine mount. I used a 1/4 inch drive flex joint on a 1/2 inch socket and 4 inch extension, as I didn't have the flex socket itself, but worked fine.
Thanks Again!
scolastico

Post by scolastico »

Just saw this post as I was searching for this procedure. How were you able to get the two front troublesome bolts back on? I may need to change my gasket as well.

Thanks
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

I used a 1/4 “ drive socket with a universal joint and 6” extension to get the troublesome bolts back in when I did the job earlier this year.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
scolastico

Post by scolastico »

Thanks, it sure looks tough.
scolastico

Post by scolastico »

Greg, sorry to be dense, but were able to start to the thread bolt with the universal? Or could you start it with your fingers?

Thanks
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

I was able to put the bolt in the socket and use the socket, universal and extension to start the bolt. It took some patience and made very sure it spun on without any force to avoid crossthreading it
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
scolastico

Post by scolastico »

Thanks Greg
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

Good information to have as this will probably be one of my "winter projects" for the car. Mine is a manual tranny, but I assume it is the same procedure for the oil pan.
1957 Raven Black E-code, manual (second owner)
1990 Super Coupe, auto. (original owner)