How rare are the E-code 57s

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Firstandtenth

How rare are the E-code 57s

Post by Firstandtenth »

I became the second owner of a 1957 E-code this past spring. The original owner purchased it new at his dealership for his wife as a wedding gift. The daughters "inherited" the car after their mother passed away a few years ago. It only logged about 20-25 miles per year since 2013 with only 77K on it now. The daughter took it to have it inspected every year and fixed anything it needed (new exhaust in 2015). I have all of the documentation from the day it was delivered. It is nearly all original with a starter replaced in 1995. The big thing that isn't original is the carb and intake. It seems the original 2-4V set-up lacked some "drivability" for the mom so they replaced the set-up with a single 4 in 1960. I'm in the process of looking for a 2-4V set-up that I can at least have on hand if I ever decide to go back to the original set-up.

My big question is this - how many E-codes are running around these days. Production information tells me that 1399 E-codes were manufactured with a small percentage of them in manual transmission. I also found some information about a power delete option (which mine has), but can't find any solid numbers. I'm trying to decide if I want to have the car professionally restored or just do some work myself and drive it. It really doesn't need much (tune-up, fix the tach and clock, new seat cover, re-chrome the rear bumper) and could be a nice show car with moderate effort. Fortunately the body is solid with no visible rust. The top is showing its age and could use some fiberglass work (spider web look right now). The car runs great and drives OK, but needs some suspension work and new tires to help with handling - gets a bit squirrelly around 50 mph.

Looking for thoughts and advice. I'm not looking for a Concours show car, but something to take to local and regional shows would be great.
1957 Raven Black E-code, manual (second owner)
1990 Super Coupe, auto. (original owner)
CSPIDY

Re: How rare are the E-code 57s

Post by CSPIDY »

It depends on what you want to do with it, all original brings a good value if you sell it. But if you wish to keep it and have long term plans then fix everything without a total restoration. As long as you keep all the original parts, any upgrades will make the car more drivable and more desirable to a larger group if selling it down the road.
If you do a complete restoration you will not get your money out it unless you do the labor your self. And even then you may loose.
The duel carbs are very kool and would be a diferance maker at shows.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

Thanks for the quick reply. I plan to keep the car for as long as I can. Restoration is expensive and it can get to the point where you don't want to drive it for fear of damaging something - and you don't get any return until you sell it. My plan from day one was to do the work myself (as much as possible) and enjoy the car. Your point about keeping all the original stuff is a good one. I've been lucky on the other bird (90 SC) in that I haven't had to replace anything other than the stereo. I still have the original and continue to look for someone who can repair it.

Even if it is a rare bird there is no time limit on when it can be professionally restored. Maybe my daughter will spend the money on it once I'm gone. Going to keep searching for the dual quad set-up. I've never had anything with more than a single four-barrel - even in those old muscle cars that are long gone.
Oldmics

Post by Oldmics »

I believe you have the numbers correct on how many "E" code T Birds were built.

The total numbers of all "E" code vehicles built is about 5000 from those in the know.

Amos Minter (Famous Amos) had the record breaking sale amount of 300 K two years ago for an "E" code Bird.

They do seem to bring a bit more than the others EXCEPT for the "F" cars.

The CTCI Thunderbird club is in the process of instituting an "E" Bird inspection and certification backed up by Ford themselves.

I have 2 "E" Birds. One auto and one stick car.The dual quad setups are around and EXPENSIVE :roll:

Oldmics
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

It seems that anything Amos touches turns to gold. I believe he had an E-code (auto) that sold for 230K last year at BJ. I was really curious as to how many have survived over the years, but can't really tell from the T-bird registry.

I've found a couple of set-ups with the least expensive around $1200. What I'm looking for will cost a few bills since I want one with usable carbs, no cracks or welds in the intake, and any "accessories" that might be included - linkage, choke set-up, dashpot, air filter housing. I found one on e-bay for $2449 without some of the accessories. I haven't been able to determine if the valley pan was changed on mine when the new intake was installed so may have to find one of those.

How much trouble are the 2-4's once you get them set-up? I didn't seen any E-codes at Charlotte or Carlisle this past fall so haven't talked to anyone regarding issues. I just remember the three deuce set-ups being high maintenance and wondered if the 2-4s are as needy.
Oldmics

Post by Oldmics »

I know the seller of that setup on eBay.

He"s an honest guy and I would feel confident that those carbs have been properly rebuilt.He knows T Birds very well.

Something to consider is matching the date code that is cast on the intake manifold to the time frame that your car was manufactured.

Now the rest of the peripherals for the setup will be the hard part. Trash can filters are $ 500.00, linkage IF YOU CAN FIND IT will be around $350 - $500

Air filters have hit 3K to 3500 recently and still need restoration.Then there is fuel lines and bracket.

Does your intake have the proper "E" hold down clamps ?

As to your question of managing the dual quad setup - if settup properly they will run just fine.

They do have the typical "hard start" issue that comes with the teapots as the carbs will drain down.

I reccomend an electric pump for easy starting.

OLdmics
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

He lists the carbs as recently rebuilt. Looks like the date code on the one he is selling is 6/6/57 - my car came off the line on 8/6/57. I've looked on-line for the throttle linkage. I was able to locate the fuel line set-up for more than I would like to spend. The air filter set-up is expensive - if you can find it. I found one on-line that was "home-made" - looked OK, but not quite the right look. I would worry about hood clearance.

Not sure what the "E" hold down clamps look like. There are hold down clamps on the current intake. I don't know enough to tell if they are correct. I could take a pic, but I haven't figured out the pic posting on the forum yet.

I already installed an electric fuel pump in-line - even after rebuilding the Holley that is on the car it gets a little hard to start if I let it set more than a couple of weeks. A few seconds with the electric pump on and it starts right up.

I typically go to Charlotte and Carlisle (spring and fall), but rarely find much for the first gen birds. There were only two vendors at Carlisle this past fall that had anything t-bird and they didn't have anything related to the 2-4V set-up. Of course I've only been looking for stuff for the 57 this year. I was thinking about the Hershey show next spring - not sure if I would have any better luck there.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

If you haven't tried it, go to the All Ford Nationals in Carlisle in June.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

It's on my calendar. Thanks.
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

Got a 2-4 set-up at the Ford Nationals last week. Intake is in excellent condition with date code that is within 30 days of car coming off the line. Carbs are in excellent condition with no indication that they have ever been apart so may have to rebuild - checking with a couple of carb guys for their opinion - one has said to hook them up and see the results. Got all of the fuel lines, filter, choke tubes, synchronizer, linkage, bell crank, hold down clamps, air filter and chromed air cleaner - don't think chrome was a factory option, but it looks good. Pretty much everything I needed and didn't have. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Doubt I'll get around to changing everything out before this fall or winter.

I also got a chance to talk with a gentleman who worked as a mechanic at the Ford dealership where this car was originally sold. He told me some stories about the number of cars where they removed the 2-4 set-ups and replaced with single 4 set-ups in the early 60's. He is well into his late 80's, maybe early 90's, but loved to talk cars and had some interesting T-bird stories.
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

That's a very cool car you have there, especially with the manual transmission. I'm not surprised the carbs and manifold were swapped for the 4V. The teapot carbs were a mess back in the day. One good 4100 Holley setup right will definitely outrun them. Teapots leak and are prone to fires. We used to call them "flaming infernos" or worse "toilet bowls". If it were me and I wanted a driver, I would keep the 4V as it is. There are people who can make the teapots work if you feel the need. If you want a $200K car, expect to pay more than that to put it in that condition. Small TBird's are not appreciating like Hemi Cudas.
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

Mine has a 4 bbl Holley on it now and runs fine. It is by no means a daily driver - both of my birds are running antique tags and are trailered to shows more than 100 miles from home. I purchased the set-up to give me the means to return it to as close to original as I can (really the only non-original thing on the car aside from normal stuff) and I'm in no rush at this point to change it all out. Most of the guys I've talked to that have the set-ups have mentioned the "old" problems with teapots, but none have mentioned big issues recently. I guess if you don't drive them everyday it is easier to keep them under control. I've already talked to two guys who are ready to help with rebuilds and/or set-up.

I have no intention of spending a ton on restoration, but keeping it more of a survivor. As a matter-of-fact I have had three restoration guys talk me out of doing much of anything to it. I didn't expect it to appreciate like a muscle car when I bought it and will be passing this on to my daughter when I'm gone. I had enough muscle cars in my day and have settled into something a little tamer - 245-270 hp in a 2900 pound car is enough for me these days.