RESTO-MOD 1971 THUNDERBIRD

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Gravygut

RESTO-MOD 1971 THUNDERBIRD

Post by Gravygut »

I posted this in the forum as well.

I picked up a solid 71, 429, 2 door THUNDERBIRD for $1000. I am haveing the vynal re-done now, and the paint will be later(black).

I got some parts to install, and would like to hear what any of you have to say about it.

A WEIAND intake(8012), Holly carb. 750 cfm 4v, SUMMIT cam/lifters only (.479/.508 lift), SUMMIT Timeing chain/gear.

Any tricks, hints, or wisedome would be well needed. Anyone who has been there and done that, PLEASE let me know!!

ALL HAIL THE THUNDERBIRD NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

MIKE.
"Time can change me, but I cant change time."
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Mike,

Sounds pretty interesting. You'll have to keep us updated.
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
Gravygut

Post by Gravygut »

The intake and carb are on. Took off the air conditioner and cruse controll, allong with allot of the vacume crap. New plugs, wires, cap, coil, points, battery. The timeing chain will wait till later, and I sent the cam back. Decided not to go with the cam. Didnt want to upgrade the tork converter (not yet any way). Timeing chain alone will bring the HP up ALLOT! Runs way smoother, and has a much quicker throtle response. The Stelth intake left NO clearance for the hood. Had to go to the edlebrock low pro triangle foam filter. Still its a TIGHT fit. I might put a scoop on it later, and make it a ram air. I will do that when I re-paint. (black)
Had the vynal top re-done. Looks real good!
I am going to flip the tires to black walls. Putting on the Ford motor company dish center caps (Torino, Mustang style).
Took off the antenna. Going to shave that when repainted.
Also going to tint the windows.
When that gets done this summer I post some pictures.

My car shall be hearby known as :badgrin: "The Dirty Bird" :badgrin:
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

If you put a hood scoop on it, I hope you study that very careful. I've seen one or two on eBay with scoops, and they were down right ugly. I think they were to tall, and took away from the hood lines. Good luck and keep us updated.
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
Gravygut

Post by Gravygut »

I agree about the scoop. I am going to do it with the 1970 Mustang/Torino Cobra Jet scoop. It sets low (2.5") and long. I will try to post a picture of a rendition of what it will look like. (shaker scoop in pic).

http://www.bradleisure.com/talladegabird72.jpg :love10:

Check it out! Its a "what if?" they had the Daytona package for the t-bird.
Gravygut

Post by Gravygut »

After ferther review, I have decided not to do the scoop. I will run w/o a air cleaner for now. All the period corect scoops are HUGE! The only one in my opinion that would look good is smaller sized.

:idea: What do think about a 1971 Mustang Mach1 side stripe on a 71 T-bird?
I super imposed one on a picture of my bird, and it didnt look half bad.
Try Google for 1971 mach1 pictures. :idea:
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Stripe might not be to bad. I'd like to see the picture you made. Wonder if you could use a scoop similar to a '64/65 Bird. That might be low enough and long enough to look right on a glamorbird.
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Gravygut,

Check out the scoop on this '68.
http://ww2.collectorcartrader.com/detai ... d=89780674
What do you think???
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
vince

Post by vince »

Gravygut,

Why not run an open element air filter, that way you still protect the engine and have plenty of air. Chrome/ss ones are an inexpensive option while deciding what to do and available at the local parts place. Also, I have seen several Birds with the Mustang/early Shelby chrome air cleaner and that looks very nice in the engine compartment.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
Gowritch

Hood Clearance

Post by Gowritch »

Why not clip the raised section of a stock hood leaving about a half an inch attached at the front. Raise the rear about 2 1/2 inches and then fill in the sides with a patch. You would have a factory looking 'cowl induction' hood. I have seen a 67 Cougar with a mod like this and it gave him just enough clearance to get an air cleaner on his high rise 390.....