What parts interchange? '67 Q code, sleeper project

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Ken Buchanan

What parts interchange? '67 Q code, sleeper project

Post by Ken Buchanan »

Hi folks.

Yesterday on the '67-71 page I posted that I am a new member here and that I have just picked up a '67 4 door. The car does have a 428, it was built that way as the 5 digit in the VIN is "Q". The car has no real rust, it has been in So Cal all its life but the last 20 have been spent sitting under a tree. Fortunately the past owner removed the vinyl from the roof so dirt and moisture were not trapped to rot through. Still though, door seals are shot/missing. Between that and vermin, the last thing you smell inside is that distinct "new car smell"!

On the one hand, restoring this beast (I call it Don Quixote) would be admirable but I can see building what the English call a "Q ship". Outwardly nothing looks unusual, a luxo barge for an old man. Come closer and very subtle hints show, like wider tyres even though the delux wherl covers are still present. The bucket seats are high back with integrated 3point seat belts and there is a shifter for a 6speed automatic rising from where an ashtray should be in the console. Lift the hood and the 428 is topped with Edelbrock heads, intake w/ port fuel injection from E and so forth.

At this stage it's more daydreams but I am penciling a punch list with dollar amounts to help me figure out which way to go.

As for the suspension, do these parts swap with a similar era Galaxie? Hotchkis has a kit for the '65-6 Galaxie that was designed for Jay Leno's Galaxie project and is available. The price is steep but I would like to have a car that handles, not one that I need to put rollers along the rocker panels to keep from scraping off.

I look forward to your ideas.

Thanks, Ken
fordrodsteven

Re: What parts interchange? '67 Q code, sleeper project

Post by fordrodsteven »

At first I would have said yes the Hotchkiss kit would work but I was comparing suspension parts from a '67 Galaxie to a '67 Thunderbird. Then I saw your post said '65-'66 Galaxie. When I made a comparison between '67 Thunderbird and '66 Galaxie there are some differences. So my gut says "no, not interchangeable" I suggest contacting Hotchkiss and asking them.
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
Ken Buchanan

Post by Ken Buchanan »

Thanks for the info Steven.

Where would I find parts info for this car? Especially for looking up cross referencing to other models. In the motorcycle business it is still pretty easy to find the "microfische" views for parts numbers, I keep coming up empty handed for Ford. No doubt it's right under my nose.

It would be funny if the `67 model parts also resolve the issues that Hotchkis has found wanting on the 66 and earlier Galaxies.

For all I know, Addco sway bars are all the upgrade the car needs once all the rubber and shocks are replaced.
img024.jpg
fordrodsteven

Post by fordrodsteven »

A Hollander interchange manual can be your friend. I remember going to a salvage yard years ago. The man behind the counter opened up a Hollander and he was able to determine a part from a completely different car would meet my requirements. I have a Hollander book but it is for older cars (in the '50's)
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird