68 Thunderbird adding rear disc brakes and other modifications

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
TheBigDoorPrize

68 Thunderbird adding rear disc brakes and other modifications

Post by TheBigDoorPrize »

I am about to purchase a 68 Thunderbird 4 door and have several "must have" modifications. I would great appreciate any advise, suggestions to help me achieve the following modifications:

1. Replace rear drum brakes with disc brakes.
2. Add rack & pinion steering or Mustang steering box...your thoughts-suggestions?
3. Install headers and new exhaust system.
4. Install sway bars and modern shocks to eliminate the float on a cloud boat type ride.
5. Install shoulder-lap seats belts in car...at a minimum the front bucket seats.
6. Advise-suggestions to make the front heads work corrects..currently the doors do not open correctly.
7. Advise-suggestions to fix or remove and replace the stock mechanical system to make the rear turn light work properly.
8. Where can I find new or refurbished chrome trim-door handles...etc

Well this is a big ask for a new member of the group, however I sure would appreciate your thoughts, comments, suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks

Michael
Lima One

Re: 68 Thunderbird adding rear disc brakes and other modifications

Post by Lima One »

Hi Michael,

I just joined the forum and saw your post. Hopefully you have found some solutions to your list by now. I have had a '68 2 door for 19 years. I am finally in a position to start a good restoration and have some of the same thoughts.

1. Rear discs - looking at kits from Summit Racing
3. Headers - just starting research
7. Replacing the mechanical sequential signal system - I've seen one on eBay that is solid state plug-n-play. I have been working on building one of my own using an Arduino microcontroller, though I have shelved that project for now.
8. Door handles - I found a set on eBay several years ago. It was for a 4-door, so I won't need 2 of them. I will probably put those up for sale.

I just pulled the motor (429) and tranny and will start the rebuild on those soon.

Hopefully you are still active on this forum and can tell me what you have found.