rebuild Autolite carb or replace with a Holley ??

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

sleeper bird

Re: rebuild Autolite carb or replace with a Holley ??

Post by sleeper bird »

Aluminum radiator?Id like a little more info on that and maybe a picture or two if that could happen.
redbow

Post by redbow »

Never have figured out how to storing your pics somewhere then getting them to the forum. So no present pics from here. But the radiator is straight off eBay. 3 core 3 row all aluminum with trans cooler for $184.00 and free shipping. Since I purchased there has been several others that appear the same for less money. The only thing that didn't fit as the original was the at the top of the shroud. The top tank does not have the cross section of the original radiator so there is about a 1" gap where that piece of rubber is. Just haven't found another piece of rubber to fix that yet. But it should be EZ. My bird has A/C and was running a little warmer than I liked during use. My original radiator needed some attention. So rather than have the original fixed and maybe not really cure the problem. I just opted to spend the money on the aluminum and be done with it. I did put in the high flow pump and wide opening thermostat at the same time. Been installed about a month now and has never gotten pasted the halfway mark on the gauge. But then again the outdoor temp has only gotten up to 83 degrees so far.

Burke
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
VTCI #12348 as of 5/4/2015
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

Yes i have been eye balling those radiators some time now,but was concearned about the shroud mounting. i have a 95 t bird supercoupe and it seemed that the only thing that i could do was to try an alum radiator,and boy that really made a difference in keeping that thing cooled down.I dont know if you can but i would surely appreciate a couple of pictures,you can email them to me at reslay@eatel.net or i could pm you my cell number and you could text them if thats possible.Seems since my rebuild i am having a small issue with running the a/c in the middle of summer and keeping her cool like i want.
surfmurf

Post by surfmurf »

The accepted formula is: cubic inches times max RPMs divided by 3456 times 0.85 or 0.80 for the average carb engine efficiency = (for my 1963 390 ci 300 hp) = 390 x 5000 (my guess for max RPM) = 1,950,000 / 3456 = 564.236 x .85 = 479.600 = 480 required CFM. Therefore, my fellow Birder's figure of 500 CFM is quite good.
A Holley tech helped me with carb ID, told me I apparently have an Autolite carb, not a Holley. Sure looks like some of the Holleys, but also like the Autolite 4100s I see on line, but not the same. Mine does not have the 4 brass stacks (tubes) sticking up by each barrel (I do not know what they are). Larry's web site sells a B 9510A, but only says its for Fords, not the Brand. So, I am still trying to ID my carb as it has NO NUMBERS on it ANYWHERE. Anyone out there have an Autolite carb on their 390 who knows its model ID? :dontknow: Murf
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Why not post a couple of pics of your carb. 4100's don't look anything like a Holley, this should be easy good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Holley made a carb they called the 4010 which was based on the Autolite 4100. A few years back, they sold the whole line to Summit, now they are branded as Summit carbs. (similar to how Carter carbs became Edelbrock), So it is possible to have a Holley that looks like a 4100 and vice versa.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Well, kinda :lol: The 4010 float adjusters and the accel pump are obvious differences. I don't think I've ever seen a 4100 that didn't have a number stamped into the foot. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

In fairness, the Autolite looks a lot more like a Holley than a Carter, Rochester or anything else. If someone hasn't actually had these carbs in their hands I can see how incorrect identifications could be made.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

sleeper bird wrote:Aluminum radiator?Id like a little more info on that and maybe a picture or two if that could happen.
Sorry, no photo, but I also bought an aluminum replacement radiator off eBay for about the same price. It was a perfect fit. We'll see about durability, but at that price point, it was hard to resist.

~Steve