NEW to Forum, 66HT White with Red interior FE390 nonlandau

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Tecumseh

NEW to Forum, 66HT White with Red interior FE390 nonlandau

Post by Tecumseh »

I have some issues. Had my Bird for years and just started working in on it in the last three.

My First problem is that I am upgrading the audio and need more amps so .. I have gotten a 200amp 3G upgrade from RareElectrical.
They advertised and confirmed after questioning that it was a "plug and play" replacement or upgrade form my 66. But the internal regulator means mine has one more connector fitting than theirs does which I beleive is to my external regulator. Gentlemen of the more discerning taste, HOW DO I INSTALL THIS? Rareelectric has offered no help and I have been Thoroughly confused.
If anyone is familiar with rare electricals offerings or if not anyone knows how to convert to 200amp alternators Please point me to the necessary information for this specific swap.
I need to find TRUE 0 and 4 gauge wire at good prices as well.

My Horn has conked as well. And I am in need of a replacement or a good steering wheel rebuilder as the horn has completeley separated and come away from the wheel. Any information appreciated.

My second is I need some good directions to some parts. My DOORPADS are frankly on the way out. I would like to see if anyone has these and would like to part with them.

By the way I am located in the NY-NJ Tri-state area.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

I see acouple of threads here but I believe they are specific to 62's and one link for a page about a fe390 truck. It seems that they are not all the same as far as what they specifiy needs to be swapped eliminated removed or disconnected.

Whsat IS the final word on installing a 2 connection 200amp 3G alternator (rareeletric) into a 3connector 2g stock amperage system with external regulatror?
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

You might want to read the response that was posted to your question in the 1964-1966 Thunderbird section.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

Thank you Tast. I did just that.
I found two newer sources. At least they are newer to me.
The first is LTDLX1gto3g

It is Ford specific, however a large part of this is corrupted.

A good a bridged version isHemmings 1g to 3g alternator conversion
This is just a generalised alternator upgrade article though.

Both of these have some good information though, however now a new task presents itslef.
I need to find out what company is THE BEST at producing custom harnesses and wiring kits. Because I want to rewire the entire bird wherever needed, with as high gauge a wire possible and all necessary fuses as well. I dont want overheating or fires. to top that off I think the distributor and the starter will be up for improvement next.
So what compny or companies take the crown in custom harnesses?[/url]
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

The wire gauge in older Fords is a real sore point. As my restoration shop guy told me, it was marginal in its day and nearly 50 years of age doesn't help it. I really want to keep the wiring stock but after cleaning and making sure connections were good, I had to run a parallel supply wire to my power windows to correct the voltage drop. I'm sure there are other systems in the car like the alt charge wire and tail light wiring that would benefit from larger wire as well.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

Redbird as the info comes in we'll get our answer. reading threads here has put me in a state of being prepared for a slow go of it though. Seems this is a pro-purist site. So information on this may be slim.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

Hey repeat question here. The pulley and belt on my new 3g alternator replacement. I know the torque is higher on the 3g. So what is the puley belt configuration I should run. Should I go serpentine with a specific wheel or can I run it as it is set. I am going wiht goodyear gatorback belts
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

For what it cost's to change our FE's over to a serpentine system, I'd try the V- belt first.
But thats just me and I'm kinda cheap :lol:
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.