Vapor Lock

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

sseebart

Vapor Lock

Post by sseebart »

I believe I'm experiencing an occasional vapor lock condition with my 64 HT. When the engine has idled for about 20 minutes, fuel pressure falls off and the engine dies. Waiting about half an hour allows the engine to start and run normally again.

The fuel pump is new and the filters are clean. I'm running a simple 3/8" rubber line from the pump to an Edelbrock carb. There's a metal pressure regulator above the pump (it tends to rest on the block) and a glass aftermarket inline filter that rests on the manifold. I'm using the Edelbrock banjo style fitting at the carb, a metal line that runs straight down from the inlet, bends 90 degrees forward and runs to the front of the carb where it terminates at the hose fitting.

The banjo puts the whole assembly pretty close to the engine and while it looks good, I'm wondering if the fuel line being so close to the manifold and block is causing the vapor lock. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Summer is coming up and I'd like to resolve this before it gets too warm.

~Steve
60fore

Post by 60fore »

I remember a couple of years ago someone on this forum who owned a Bulletbird with an Edelbrock carb was having vapor lock problems. He posted a picture of his engine bay and I noted that a section of his fuel line to the carb appeared to be resting right on the intake manifold.

I suggested he try repositioning it so it was up off the intake; he did so and posted back to say that it cured his problem. FWIW.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
6t6

Post by 6t6 »

I thought I had the same problem 2 years ago...

Took the fuel tank out and found it full of rust, the screen on the inlet tube in the gastank had deteriorated and was plugging up the fuel inlet in the tank