where to get different mufflers (not glasspacks)

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

6t6

where to get different mufflers (not glasspacks)

Post by 6t6 »

I am looking to replace/change the mufflers on my 66.

It currently has the glasspacks.

Does anyone know of a different muffler I can get that will fit in the same spot.

I am looking for a deeper tone...
I like the way the glasspacks sound at idle, but all that crackling drives me nuts

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks in advance
Yeti Man

Post by Yeti Man »

Magnaflow 4" round x 14" long. Compact, nice deep tone, smooth while cruising, no crackling.

Randy
'63 Thunderbird Ex-Landau
Registry #31935
You can always tell a Texan......but you can't tell him much.
Randy Mattson

Mufflers

Post by Randy Mattson »

I'm normally not one to use a franchise, but talk to the guys at your local Midas Muffler Shop. I had an El-Camino exhaust redone at a Midas and was very pleased with the results. I think they build their own mufflers.
Good Luck.
Randy Mattson
tburp

Post by tburp »

Any luck or updates? I nedd some too
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

whats the stock size of the body of the original muffler? i dont know off hand. look on summitracing.com and see whats out there.

flowmaster 40 series is popular
magnaflow are gaining popularity
borla is good too.
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
Dirty Birdy

Post by Dirty Birdy »

IMO mufflers are like wheels, it comes down to personal preference. If you like a deep growl (louder) sound, go with flowmaster 40s. Magnaflow are a bit quieter, but still offer a nice deep tone, same can be said with borla.
You may want to go onto youtube and search the different mufflers, that way you can get an idea of the sound. Some of the companies listed above do provide sound clips as well.
All these mufflers can be purchased at most parts stores.
I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder!
6t6

Post by 6t6 »

No updates yet, money is a little tight at the moment. As well as needing a few other things done first.

Flowmaster 40 series sound is exactly what I am after, I am not sure they make them "tube" style...

I did find these on their site tho...
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/searc ... &sc3=&sc4=
-Just not sure about the sound.

I tried to search flowmasters site by "parts fitment" -the oldest model of Thunderbird they have a muffler for is 67.

A good friend of mine said he has heard magnaflows and wasn't impressed with the sound. I personally haven't heard any of their mufflers. -would just hate to go out on a limb and be disapointed with a $150 investment

I just measured whats in my 66, I am fairly certain the inlet and outlet are 2 1/4", and are 21" long WOW!

The Hushpowers' offered by Flowmaster are 18" -so they should work, with a new set of turndowns.

Wow, as Im looking at these, the price isn't good...

I am not sure what the difference is between 304 and 409 stainless steel, but they cost $184.60, and $143.35 respectively. Either way I don't think I want to spend that much on mufflers.

Back to square 1....

Ill do a little more looking this weekend, as I am becoming more and more annoyed with these glasspacks...

My girlfriend says she feels like ducking her head down when they get to cracklin'...I don't blame her...I feel the same way #-o
Dirty Birdy

Post by Dirty Birdy »

Honestly unless your into showing your car to win big awards, stainless is overkill. Flowmaster offers them in alluminzed steel and they hold up great. I run the flowmaster 40s series with staggered outlets 2.5" in and out. There is plenty of room for a standard muffler, you dont need to run a tube style. That being said, flowmaster does offer them. I also purchased the flowmaster muscle car generic fit x-pipe kit. Minimal cutting required to the kit to make it work. Each muffler was $80 and the x-pipe kit was $240 (thats Can $) so it would be like $10 US. :roll: LOL Ill post up a video clip for the sound, keep in mind Im running headers and a lumpy cam.
I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder!
6t6

Post by 6t6 »

The 40 series fit under there...that makes my day!

Glad to know that, its probably what I will end up doing...

What cam are you running? I saw t-bird HQ has some links to some Edelbrock cams. About a hundred bucks... I sure would like a cam as well