lowering

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gonzmexican

lowering

Post by gonzmexican »

Here is another question guys. One of the first modifications we will be making to the exterior of the Tbird is lowering. I already am in contact with the guys from eaton springs and they can make me rear leaf springs to a height of my choice, the problem is is that they no longer make the front coils for my 66' Tbird.

I have seen some posts in the 63 section about guys that have cut a coil out of each spring. I would do this in a heatbeat but I am a little confused as to how much of a drop I am looking at. I have seen anywhere from 1 inch to 1 3/4 to 2 inches. I am looking to seriously lower this bird..any ideas as to how many coils I should cut? I feel like 1 would be good..is it possible to cut off 2 without being too unsafe?
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

My experience over the years is that no two cars - even those of same year, similar eqpmt., etc. - drop the same by cutting coils. The best I can suggest is start conservatively (maybe 1/2 coil), see what it does, keep trimming until you get where you want.
In case you're not aware, do NOT use a torch. NO heat. Cut them. Even using a fibreglas cut-off wheel is best, since it keeps heat generation to a minimum.
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
gonzmexican

Post by gonzmexican »

thanks a lot..yea i think I will start with the front coils..see how much drop I get ..then have eaton match with the back..and yea I have heard about keeping it cool..I will use that fiberglass cutting wheel
6t6

Post by 6t6 »

TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Hmmm...I can't vouch for these guys, but using a set of springs made specifically for a vehicle is always better than cutting something you have already. Still, I'd like to know some spring rates and other specs on these, too.
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
gonzmexican

Post by gonzmexican »

hmm..ill have to look into the ones on that ebay posting..id much rather buy springs than risk cutting them