Wish List

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Pete1325

Wish List

Post by Pete1325 »

Since I bought my 64 TB a few months ago I have putting off replaceing the intake manifold gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, timeing chain cover gaskets, rebuild the carb etc.

Now that I have mentally preparded myself for the task it's time to get started.

Since I'll be going to the extent of tearing everthing down I'm thinking of doing some slight modifications to the engine.

I will probably keep the carb but what about an aluminum intake manifold? Which one, brand/type, is a good fit for this engine?

I plan on changing out the timeing chain since the old one is probably stretched out. Which one should I buy?

Since the exhaust manifold bolts are rusted pretty bad I plan to just pull the heads and give them a valve job. I will farm that out but should I use request any specific springs, hardend seats?

How about a cam? If so which one?

Headers, I know Sanders has a set that they say will fit the 64 TB.

If I stick to stock exhaust manifolds do I opt fo "No Blow" gaskets?

Any other thoughts would aslo be appriciated.

Thanks,
Blown306

Post by Blown306 »

Well, I've always been partial to Edelbrock and Comp Cams, and Edelbrock makes a whole bunch of parts for the FE engines. Personally, I would replace the carb as well...the Edelbrock carbs seem to work pretty good...I've talked to a few people who have had trouble with Holley carbs.

Also, if you are going to be doing a cam swap, intake and headers, why would you throw those old cast iron heads back on? Any modern aluminum head is going to make all the difference in the world. Remember, it's a system. You could put on the best intake manifold, cam and headers, but if your carb and heads are crap you won't gain anything (except a lighter wallet). It may even run worse...
- Jeff
President, Chicagoland Thunderbirds

'93 Kenne Bell LX "Putting the THUNDER back in the BIRD"
'02 Excursion Diesel - 2x the torque, hp, weight and economy
'03 V-Rod - No more mod money
'03 Goldwing - My other bike IS a Harley
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Pete, I'd spend some time on one of the FE sites. There are so many products and combos out there that it's tough to make a simple recommendation; look through one of their "engine" areas of their forum and see what people are using with what kind of driving you have in mind. I'd stick to those with the "bigger" cars like Galaxies, etc., which will put you in more like-minded, like-weighted company to match your heavy 'Bird than say someone with a 390 or 428 in a Mustang.
I'd probably recommend a new carb, too, though. I'm a big Holley fan (my '66 428 runs a 650 double-pumper), but Edelbrocks have a good reputation as a plug-n-play carb, if you just want to install it, set it up, and leave it alone. There will always be those out there to give mix and match recommendations, but if you're not a hardcore hot-rodder, just remember (as Blown306 alluded to) that these are systems, and by going with complementary parts from the same mfr. will usually optimize your end results, i.e. Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, and even heads if you wish to go that far.
Have fun!
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
Pete1325

Post by Pete1325 »

Thanks. Boy would I like to slap on some alumimum heads as well. They are a little much, $1000 or so.

What size carb works well on these engines?

Also, drop me the website of that FE forum. I looked all over for it.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Pete1325

Post by Pete1325 »

That's the one..........thanks.