Bad Birds

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

64BlkBrd

Bad Birds

Post by 64BlkBrd »

Hmm, moding must be blasphemy here! :badgrin:

I am trying to make the decision to either restore my '64 (which is fairly close to original) or do some mods (something I had originally planned to have done). Reversible mods like a hidden carputer with rearview mirror monitor and rims should be ok. However, since my '64 is in serious need of new springs, shocks etc. I was thinking of going with an Air Ride system and giving the old girl an update. I could have sworn there was a post around here that listed a current forum members similar set up, but I can't find it at the moment.

Anyway, Air Ride has a great online project list... here are a couple of very bad birds that are much in line with the direction I want to take.

http://airride.com/projectview.asp?ID=12904&SUBSYS=CC

http://airride.com/projectview.asp?ID=12681&SUBSYS=CC

That '64 with the 460 in it is AMAZING, but I have no plans to do any chopping.

Maybe I need to find a more distressed 'bird to mod and keep my '64 as a restore... What to do...
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

i like modded birds.
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
64BlkBrd

Post by 64BlkBrd »

Nice! :cool:
Blown306

Post by Blown306 »

Not me...I hate it when people modify their Birds. They were perfect from the factory :roll:

Anyway, I was thinking about doing a "resto-mod" to my '64, but decided that a full framed car with a big block already installed is a better choice. My T-Bird project would be a '67 two door...if anyone knows of one that has a solid body and interior (the rest is being replaced)...drop me a note ;-)
- Jeff
President, Chicagoland Thunderbirds

'93 Kenne Bell LX "Putting the THUNDER back in the BIRD"
'02 Excursion Diesel - 2x the torque, hp, weight and economy
'03 V-Rod - No more mod money
'03 Goldwing - My other bike IS a Harley
64BlkBrd

Post by 64BlkBrd »

Yeah, I get the "must restore" speech from the locals everytime I talk about modding it. Thing is, while the car is in fairly good shape, it needs a lot of things fixed. I can either restore it to original or "improve" its performance, often for equal or even LESS cost.

I think I'll get the car judged as is and see how far I would have to go for a restore, then compare that cost to what I could do as a mod.

Still... the idea of buying a distressed '64 for extra parts and modding is still in the back of my mind.
65Thunder

Post by 65Thunder »

To each his own...the custom work done on the 64 was really good. I admire a person who takes a risk and doesn't worry about what others say. Kudos to them. I also admire the true believers of keeping an auto original. As a lover of the 65 TB, I've often thought the design needed to have a lower roof line and rectangular head lights. Maybe one of these days I'll hope the fence and join the wild gang!! ha. Thanks for posting the modbird, its fun to see what others are doing with them.

DWilkins
65Thunder
Woodstock, GA
jwreese

Post by jwreese »

The black bird is just the way I would do one with the exception I would go wire wheels cause I think that would add class to a classy design. Otherwise it is very cool.
Jim in MO
strange bird from a different nest
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

Does anyone know what exactly would go into installing an active air suspesion into the 66birds and making it reliable?

i was toying around with keeping a pulley compressor on the engine, but given the ac is that not adviseable. and which are the best replacment leafs? glass or what?

found some valuable tips on my question. It seems that you cna have a moderate and reliable active air suspension with very little cutting and welding or alteration.
Air ride sells a thunderbird specific front end bolt in replacement air shock and a rear air over leaf spring conversion kit for the 66 tbird.
So when I get about 4thousand more in the budget I will be floating the coupe on a comfortable cushion.
# especially if i can find some appropriate composite leaf psrings for the rear #

BTW we really ought to try and facilitate a more robust discussion in the modified section. The lack of it is going to make this a site that only serves a portion of the of the thunderbird enthusiasts and that isnt very successful. ::?
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I like the idea of a resto mod. A car that maintains its original look and charm but performs (goes, stops, turns) like a modern performance car.
Now if my budget could just match my wants..
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.