65 hardtop w/ fe390 forward/rear weight ratio, corner weight

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Put_a_bird_on_it

65 hardtop w/ fe390 forward/rear weight ratio, corner weight

Post by Put_a_bird_on_it »

I am looking to replace the suspension in my tbird. More specifically the front suspension. I know the total curb weight is 4651 lbs, but don't know the weight on each wheel. i couldn't find anything on the internet, as well as the shop manual.

The tbird currently has airbag suspension(lowrider) and does not have forward shocks. The ride is far to bouncy to be comfortable and is also sometimes dangerous depending on the road. I would get rid of the airbags all together but I inherited the car from my older brother who was working on it while in the navy. I'd like to keep the car a lowrider like he intended. So, I plan to buy something like this,
https://www.carid.com/ridetech/hq-serie ... l=17057038 but need to know the weight on the front tires.

Hope someone can help :smile:
paulr

Re: 65 hardtop w/ fe390 forward/rear weight ratio, corner weight

Post by paulr »

Definitely a question for the Mods forum, too. More people there have experience.

Weight per wheel would also depend on other mods from stock and accessories (i.e. A/C, aluminum intake, radiator, etc.), if known.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Is it not possible to move the car to a weigh scale facility and weigh the axles like they do for commercial trucks. The DOT here when you talk to them in a position of asking for help, are very helpful and will assist in many ways, even weigh for free, OR truck stops with Pay as You Go scales.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
tbird

Post by tbird »

The scales used to weigh highway loads do not generally weigh individual wheel weights, they can supply accurate axle weights.

I have tired to weigh the individual wheel loading while trying to balance the load of my car trailer. Loaded up as I would travel with the car in the trailer and went to a modern digital highway truck scale that is closed on Sundays as the main traffic on that highway is gravel and rock which is not in operation on Sundays. The external readout and scale is turned on at all times so that transport trucks can weigh themselves at any time. What I found was that after weighing each axle and then driving on the scale with only one wheel of each axle and then repeat for the other side is that the weigh that would be for a axle would not add up to the same thing as what was recorded when a axle was weighed,Sometime it would be higher sometime lower so this does not appear to work very well.

My friend that is into drag racing does have a digital scale that they can determine wheel loading to get the best traction by adjusting the weight.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Jim, I fully agree on corner point loads, but since we are talking about a Bird and not a race car of exacting numbers, my comment was directed of front to back loading and axle balance. I do not think a few pounds left to right, or front to back would matter in a Bird.
As you, I did the same with my car and trailer to optimize load balance. Here in Ontario, the DOT worked with me to get a good load balance, which effected my ability to haul up to a certain weight, without paying additional GVWR fees.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible