Different Brake Boosters

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

AngryBirds

Different Brake Boosters

Post by AngryBirds »

So I am redoing the brake system on my 65 and was planning to go with a dual bowl conversion from a 67 Mustang, however I just found out the booster is also shot. After looking around it seems no one really sells a redone Bendix anymore and its only a ship and rebuild your old one. Has anyone found a more modern and less expensive suitable replacement to the original? I don't mind modifying the bracket a little bit but I am still looking for a system that will have parts support for the future.
Current Thunderbird Projects:
1965 White Hardtop
1965 Red Convertible Project (Bodywork Stage)
crashchoate

Re: Different Brake Boosters

Post by crashchoate »

I read on another post on here that you can use a 1967 Tbird booster and then the 67 mustang master cylinder. I called around to parts store and they are 95 bucks with 10 dollar core. Not bad in my opinion
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

crashchoate wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:13 am I read on another post on here that you can use a 1967 Tbird booster and then the 67 mustang master cylinder. I called around to parts store and they are 95 bucks with 10 dollar core. Not bad in my opinion
Be aware that there are three different types of brake boosters for '67 T-birds. I don't know the differences between them (yet) other that comments from a person I knew years ago that he went through hell trying to sort this out on his '67 4-door Landau. More digging needed.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Would it be because of the cruise control fittings on the booster?
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

stubbie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 pm Would it be because of the cruise control fittings on the booster?
Not sure. Need to dig into this sometime when I can find time, which has been pretty hard to do with the demands of my career. The question has been nagging at me for around 20 years since I first learned about it when I was living in Wichita and trying to help a local VTCI member sort things out.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I upgraded my 64's front brakes to the 65/66 disc setup but retained my freshly rebuilt booster.
If anyone is discarding a 65/66 booster I would love to have it - working or not. I'd be happy to pay shipping and what ever core. etc. your out. Pleaes PM me.
I need to have one in order to see if it will fit in my car .

Thanks!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
paulr

Post by paulr »

RedBird64 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:43 pm I need to have one in order to see if it will fit in my car .

Thanks!

Scott
With your Mustang dual, it will not fit (without surgery, anyway) even though you have the roomier '65 left cowl brace. These things are honkin' bigger than 64MY.

(Sorry I had the brace off in this pic--but you can see where it would be. Stock '65)
photo-2.jpg
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Thanks for the pic and the info Paul.
Now I'm salivating over a Hydroboost. I could plump it in-line before the steering gear but I don't know if it causes the MC to stick out too far.
Of course, it took me 20+ years to get around to doing the 65/66 disc setup so don't hold your breath on the HB.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Definitely also intrigued with HB.
Big outlay.
Will it really fit.
Hate to alter the classic look so severely unless the benefits are an absolute thing.
Re: fit, may have to be open to alternative masters as shown on the website--more appearance issues.
How to get an artful appearance? May need a designer's help.
Will the crappy aftermarket tissue paper pads wear down even faster with HB? :lol:
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Paul you may have looked at this already.
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... =23&t=9117
I think Graeme might have sold his 62 but might still answer questions if you send him a pm.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Thanks, I have studied that thread a little bit; it’s a good one. I’m curious what, if any, differences between 62 and 64 firewalls exist, and speculating as to what alterations and fabs will be needed to install in my case. Also, the exact dimensions of the acceptable MC’s are important down to the millimeter, as well as where the lines hook up.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT