EXHAUST HEADERS...

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gravelman

EXHAUST HEADERS...

Post by gravelman »

Does anyone know if these headers will work on our car 390FE motor? 428 Cobra jet exhaust manifolds Ford #C80Z-
9430-A (RH) and #C80Z-9431-A.(LH) I'm concerned about clearance? I'm also installing Eldelbrock Performance aluminum heads...

Thanks,
jtschug

Re: EXHAUST HEADERS...

Post by jtschug »

I've heard the "cast iron headers" from a cobrajet will fit, but I've never seen it done. I think those also use a different bolt pattern on the head to get better exhaust gasket sealing. If you don't have cobrajet heads (or aftermarket heads with the CJ bolt pattern) you may have exhaust leak issues.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Thanks jtschug...

The Edelbrock aluminum heads are set up for the Cobra Jet bolt layout. There's a like new set on e-bay that's already been bid up over $850, I'm guessing before the bidding is done it could go over $1,000. I thought they sold all day for around $700?

FYI: The Performer Edelbrock aluminum heads will not take the 390 GT exhaust manifolds...
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I've also heard new sets of these were being made in China.

Reproduction 428 CJ cast headers are available from NPD for $750. Don't pay NOS prices for repop.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/ ... 1-412.html
Livermore, CA
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

jtschug,

Those will not fit the Edelbrock heads since the Edelbrock's heads and the Cobra Jet bolting is all on a vertical axis. I could be happy with Stainless Steel headers, but I don't think they'll fit in the area between the cylinder head and fender wells?

Can anyone confirm that, either way?
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Here's the Cobra Jet cast iron header, at least that is how it's advertised...
Attachments
cobra_jet_headers.png
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I have FPA headers and they are tight, but I can confirm that they fit with minimal shimming and grinding.

Some people have had luck with Sanderson headers. Mine are ceramic coated, I don't know if stainless is an option.
Livermore, CA