Mufflers with a deeper old school tone

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Aleki

Mufflers with a deeper old school tone

Post by Aleki »

My first care about 20 years ago was a 77 Lincoln towncar. Looking for deeper old school exhaust tone like I remember on the lincoln. Visited the muffler shop this weekend and had then remove the stock mufflers and I love how it sounds at idle and cruising but during acceleration it's obnoxiously loud. That was more of an experiment that was aided by the extremely low cost of chopping the stock off and welding on pipes.

OK experiment over. I'd like to stay in my neighborhood and not burn any bridges with the neighbors so I'm back in search of the deeper tone. I watched several youtube videos (no Tbirds) of the Smithy's and they sound very nice and deep. I also saw a couple of T Birds with the Flowmaster Super 44 which sounds good too if not a little hollow sounding.

Any Tbird owners with either of these two or other exhaust with a deep old school rumble?
Image 1966 Town Landau since Feb 2018
RAVEN

Re: Mufflers with a deeper old school tone

Post by RAVEN »

Investigate Waldron's exhaust. They offer a muffler which is quiet on low pedal power but bark when you stand on it. Dual passage internals.
www.waldronexhaust.com 800.503.9428
Located in Michigan
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
bbogue

Re: Mufflers with a deeper old school tone

Post by bbogue »

Hello.

Here’s a link to a video of a flairbird with 40 series Flowmasters that I think sound pretty good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f2hwc1OEHGY

Here’s a link to a video of my 61 with 18” long 4” diameter Magnaflows with small (about 10” long) Vibrant resonators. The Magnaflows were too loud for my taste without the resonators. The exhaust system is 2 1/4” with H-pipe crossover and FPA headers. My engine is slightly modified.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-qNF ... lhMWjhjMlE

Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers