No front brake fluid from bleeder?!

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

adam78

No front brake fluid from bleeder?!

Post by adam78 »

Hello everyone. I'm trying to get my nightmare of a 1964 Thunderbird back on the road. It blew it's brake booster due to a master cylinder leak, and blew the headgasket the same week. Well the headgasket is back in, I got it a nice set of shorty headers from Sanderson, and a duel chamber master cylinder upgrade. The problem seems to be that I cannot for the life of me get the front brakes to bleed. I assume Ford engineers are always drunk because the bleeder is in such a bad spot that you cant get a wrench on it, only a socket.

But even with the valve open, and with a vacuum bleeder trying to pull 15mmhg I get nothing at all. The back brakes bled okay, a lot of air. I think I may have a small leak in the piping we had to make up to go from a 1 to a 2 chamber MC. But I should be getting SOMETHING from the front. Were we supposed to prime the new lines before installing them? We've been at this for hours, idk what to do.
redstangbob

Re: No front brake fluid from bleeder?!

Post by redstangbob »

I moved your post to it's appropriate section, the TECH section is not for general questions, it's a place to post how to articles that will help others. Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

On some MC's, you need to press the brake pedal down a little bit to allow fluid to be pulled from the resevoir easily. Another issue that pops up is the bleeder at the wheel may not have the tightest threads and when you apply vacuum, it's all lost just pulling air through those threads. Just barley cracking the line and pushing the bleeder inward can help in that case.
I suggest that rather than try to draw the fluid out, use the two person method and pump it through.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
adam78

Post by adam78 »

redstangbob wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:19 pm I moved your post to it's appropriate section, the TECH section is not for general questions, it's a place to post how to articles that will help others. Bob C
Oops, sorry. Thanks for the move.
adam78

Post by adam78 »

RedBird64 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:29 pm On some MC's, you need to press the brake pedal down a little bit to allow fluid to be pulled from the resevoir easily. Another issue that pops up is the bleeder at the wheel may not have the tightest threads and when you apply vacuum, it's all lost just pulling air through those threads. Just barley cracking the line and pushing the bleeder inward can help in that case.
I suggest that rather than try to draw the fluid out, use the two person method and pump it through.

Scott
Yeah, we just drained the gas tank and are going to put some fresh gas in it. I'm going to try the 2 man method with the brake booster. She'll be loud with open headers haha, but it's gotta get done. Thanks!
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

adam78 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:53 pm
RedBird64 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:29 pm On some MC's, you need to press the brake pedal down a little bit to allow fluid to be pulled from the resevoir easily. Another issue that pops up is the bleeder at the wheel may not have the tightest threads and when you apply vacuum, it's all lost just pulling air through those threads. Just barley cracking the line and pushing the bleeder inward can help in that case.

Scott
Yeah, we just drained the gas tank and are going to put some fresh gas in it. I'm going to try the 2 man method with the brake booster. She'll be loud with open headers haha, but it's gotta get done. Thanks!
I've run her like that - sounds great!
But you don't have it running to do the two person bleed. Works fine with the eng off and is probably more controllable.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
tompiantanida

Post by tompiantanida »

Did you bench bleed the new master cylinder?