I need a pcv system

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Cowboy81286

I need a pcv system

Post by Cowboy81286 »

I have a 66 t bird with a 390. I have a edelbrock performer 2105 intake and I need a pcv system. Could anyone point me in the right direction to get the parts or possibly tell me the tubing thickness so I can make my own with braided nylon tubing and fittings
RedBird64

Re: I need a pcv system

Post by RedBird64 »

Are you still using the stock valve covers?
Hate to say it but if you are, you either need to make holes in them (air has to come in too) or go to an aftermarket VC - which is what I did.
You just need to use a vacuum line that fits the PCV valve but it must be vacuum line. I used a valve for a early 70's big block Ford.
I used qtr turn adapters in the punch out holes of the valve covers. (very old Holley VC's that we customized)

The one peeking out from under the strut brace at the rear of the dr. side VC is the breather to allow air in.
You can see the PCV in the top of the adapter (with black rubber line) that is at the front of the pass. side VC.

1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hello Redbird..Looks like you have a dual brake master. Can you post a close up shot so I can see how you modified the cross brace. If you read my brakes failed post you know how the shop messed up mine. I am going to modify the replacement brace and want to do a neat job..Thanks so much..Rich
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Not really modified, I just used the tower mount from a 65/66 Tbird. It shifts the brace over to clear the larger MC.
While the 65/66 Birds didn't have a dual MC, their round resevoir was larger than the 64's so they had to make some room for it.

First pic shows how the old brace was situated:

With the 65/66 mount:

I used my original 64 strut braces. Just had to elongate their holes at the firewall slightly and use nuts for the bolts instead of the little clamp/nut thingy's.

If you can find a T-Bird junk yard they're full of these off-set braces.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Cowboy81286

Post by Cowboy81286 »

The valve covers that are currently on has holes. One is for the cap on driver's side. Passenger side vc has a hole with a rubber pcv grommet
Richard

Post by Richard »

RedBird64 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:34 am Not really modified, I just used the tower mount from a 65/66 Tbird. It shifts the brace over to clear the larger MC.
While the 65/66 Birds didn't have a dual MC, their round resevoir was larger than the 64's so they had to make some room for it.

First pic shows how the old brace was situated:

With the 65/66 mount:

I used my original 64 strut braces. Just had to elongate their holes at the firewall slightly and use nuts for the bolts instead of the little clamp/nut thingy's.

If you can find a T-Bird junk yard they're full of these off-set braces.

Scott
Thanks Scott..I have a 65 so I will have to cut..
VTCI#12157
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Having a 65 you should not have to make any modifications. Your mount and brace should clear it nicely.
Richard

Post by Richard »

RedBird64 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:14 pm Having a 65 you should not have to make any modifications. Your mount and brace should clear it nicely.
No it doesn't clear... The brake booster on mine is a lot bigger so has to be cut..Thanks Scott for your replys..
VTCI#12157